Question buying the game and steam keys

Started by RockJohnAxe, April 11, 2016, 08:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockJohnAxe

Hi all,

firstly I super apologize as I am sure this has been asked a bunch.

I am concerned about not getting a steam key if I purchase now. I want to play this game more than you could possibly believe, but if I buy it now and can't get a steam key I would be very upset.

What are the chances of getting/not getting a steam key if I purchase this game now?

Should I buy this game now, or wait an agonizing undetermined length of time for the steam release?

Coenmcj

Definitely buy it now, you won't regret it. :) Steam is coming, eventually.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Limdood

The developer said he's legally prohibited from promising steam keys anymore (by steam) but he thinks its likely that he will be able to supply them.

The game certainly seems to be worth $30 for everyone here who bought it.  I would probably be irritated if i had to pay again to get it on steam...but at this point i think i would...i think the game is that good. 

For me, i think Tynan is likely going to be able to get steam keys to the people who bought early access, but if he doesn't, i will probably pay for it on steam (he'd probably be legally obligated to not provide the early access people free updates).

For you, its a matter of risk vs. reward.

Reward to getting it now is that you get a bunch of extra playtime.  Risk is that you MAY not get a steam key if you buy it now.  Up to you if it balances.

RockJohnAxe

damn Limdood you killing me.

I want to play this game soo bad, but I just cant afford the potential of having to re-buy it again on steam.

I am going to put my faith in the developer though that things will work out for me. I want to support this game, to be it looks like the perfect mix of stardew rts survival with the look of prison arcitect and elements of dungeon keeper. I love all the little details too that have been put in the game. This game seems like a real gem.

Limdood

sorry for your dilemma...i'm just trying to tell it like it is, to allow you to make the most informed decision you can.

sadpickle

I say buy it. I don't see any downside to buying it now. Whether or not he's allowed to provide a Steam key, it's not like Steam users will get access to content that everyone who buys now won't. Tynan will do right by the community, of that I am certain.

Limdood

one last benefit to the game...

In its current incarnation, which can't really be taken away from us at this point, the game feels worth $30.  Thats huge...that means that even if the absolute worst were to happen and the game were to magically cease production (Tynan has gone berserk and is attacking the police), you still have a game that was worth its cost.

Listen1

Quote from: Limdood on April 12, 2016, 10:29:50 AM
one last benefit to the game...

In its current incarnation, which can't really be taken away from us at this point, the game feels worth $30.  Thats huge...that means that even if the absolute worst were to happen and the game were to magically cease production (Tynan has gone berserk and is attacking the police), you still have a game that was worth its cost.

Sight... they would put the blame on video games.

My suggestion is Buy the game. It's 100% worth it.

Limdood

This also made me decide that i think every one of my colonies from now on should include Tynan as a character.

ChimpX

This game is a steal at $30 even in its early access state. Stop torturing yourself OP. Buy it now.

I personally am confident that we'll get Steam keys, but honestly, what does it matter if we don't?

The only reason why I care at all that it's on Steam us that will make it super easy to buy gift copies for friends.

igz33

I did buy a 20$ steam card for this game! Just waiting it to show up in steam!

Dougalishere

pretty sure u can just link almost any game to ur steam libary right? i dont get what the big deal is about having to have the game on steam :)

Jaxxa

Quote from: Dougalishere on April 12, 2016, 07:44:00 PM
pretty sure u can just link almost any game to ur steam libary right? i dont get what the big deal is about having to have the game on steam :)

While I agree that it is not a huge deal it is nice to be able to go to a new computer install steam and have a list of all the games you can download and install in one operation.

Arigas

Quote from: Jaxxa on April 12, 2016, 10:04:38 PM
Quote from: Dougalishere on April 12, 2016, 07:44:00 PM

While I agree that it is not a huge deal it is nice to be able to go to a new computer install steam and have a list of all the games you can download and install in one operation.
That for me is basically the primary reason I have close to 200 games on steam. That, and the workshop is not bad either :P

Patrykbono20

You dont need Steam to play the game.
I Remember time when we dont have Steam. :D