Beavers of DEATH!

Started by Silvador, April 12, 2016, 02:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvador

So, beavers rocked up on my map again today. Fair enough, no biggie, I think to myself. I've had beavers before, on several occasions. So, I draft my two hunters and send them out, get them in position and begin 'culling the herd'.

There horror strikes!

Either this is a new addition, or I have been very lucky in the past. Not more than two beavers down and suddenly I receive an alert; a beaver has become enraged from being injured and all other nearby beavers have become enraged as well. The alert was even called "Beaver Revenge". Immediately I start high-tailing it, but one guy is too slow due to food poisoning, and the beavers are fast enough to keep up with my second guy... and I have no other defences at my settlement! Starvation, Raiders, Mechanoids... never expected to die from a plague of angry beavers.

Lesson learned. Next colony will be different.

This means war.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

skullywag

Yep herds have a small chance to enrage when one of their own is attacked. It was in the last alpha as well.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Rahjital

The worst is when it happens to a big herd of deer near your colony, since you can't outrun those. If your colonists are working outside and too far from any rooms, you'd better pray to RNGesus to be merciful and not let your people get their heads kicked in.

Limdood

It happened last alpha...it seems to happen FAR more this alpha

JimmyAgnt007

Ive been hunting herds and never got that.  I only have one hunter ever just on their own to avoid friendly fire.  When I send out a hunting party I send everyone.  A dozen shooters can take down almost any animal without issue.

It would be neat though if colonists had adrenaline to help them run faster when fleeing.

Speeny

In my stream it is well known to be careful about attacking any large groups of animals. I have had several colony ended due to dear muffilo and other pack animals. Never had alpha beaver death though.

sadpickle

Enraging a herd is great if you can lead them back to your killbox. It's like takeout vs. home delivery.

Silvador

Quote from: sadpickle on April 12, 2016, 03:54:32 PM
Enraging a herd is great if you can lead them back to your killbox. It's like takeout vs. home delivery.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! XD

cultist

I love what they've done with animals in A13. After losing a colonist to a freak polar bear attack, I spent a lot of time VERY carefully checking the next map (jungle) for cougars before sending colonists anywhere outside the main camp. I avoided hunting every animal on the map out of fear of predators starving and attacking colonists instead. The wilderness suddenly feels a lot more dangerous than before, I love it.

Rahjital

Quote from: cultist on April 13, 2016, 04:14:39 PM
I avoided hunting every animal on the map out of fear of predators starving and attacking colonists instead.

This is a very legitimate fear. I've had cougars eat my cat and several alpacas after I accidentally lured all nearby deer away.

I just wish wild animals would avoid the colony. Having a pair of grizzlies prowl it is nerve racking.

Mathenaut

I always have at least 2 turrets up before I start taking shots at herds.

Silvador

New colony, new Beavers! I'm about half a month off my first winter and I'm faring reasonably well. But most of my structures are built out of wood and I don't have sufficient components to make a fleet of turrets. I'm terrified that if I go out to hunt these beavers they'll turn around and kill all my colonists again. But if I let them alone, they'll eat all my buildings!

HELP! Does anyone know the percent chance of a herd of animals enraging??? I don't want to lose my colonists again!

Jaxxa

Do Beavers actually eat wooden structures or just trees?

Silvador

Unless it has been recently changed, I believe the alert states that they'll eat anything made of wood.

mumblemumble

Yep revenge is terrifying. I had a bear family enraged after a stray bullet hit,  during a mech raid.  2 scythers,  3 centepedes,  4 grizzlies.... Needless to say, everyone died.

Though,  strategically culling predators is a good idea, especially in the fall.  In the fall small animals are more scarce,  and food is less plentiful,  so them attacking colonists is much more likely.

Also,  you can check hunger of animals,  if they aren't hungry,  no risk
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.