Slow pace in A13 Randy Random

Started by Fafn1r, April 13, 2016, 03:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fafn1r

I have to admit I am not a big fan of the new slow pace of the game. It's easier to build bases now, but I thought the whole point of Rimworld is to build bases while walking through pools of blood and vomit, while my builder gets his arms torn off by a mad warg, whose owner just died from a burn infection (caused by mechanoids who dropped on my base), because one medic died from a plague and second one got hit by a mortar shell. I mean, I'm playing RR Challenge instead of Phoebe Basebuilding for a reason.

Now days are twice as long and the time between events seem to be twice as long as well. Add to that lovey-dovey colonists with high happiness even though they are walking through a field of rotting corpses - the game becomes horribly boring.

Is it just my experience? Maybe I just got a "lucky" roll with no big threats and colonists who like each other?

...I just realized that Rimworld probably irreversibly changed my view on gaming. I no longer want to simply build digital perfection - I'd rather see something interesting happening and have problems to solve. Thanks, Tynan.

Goldenpotatoes

I mean, when you play on Randy Random, your expectations should be, well, its in his very name for a reason.

I've had RR runs that were nothing but tradeships and drop pods, I've also had RR runs where he thought it'd be a good joke to drop a poison ship on my crops and then a psychic ship at the very edge of the map within 2 weeks of eachother.

I'd imagine it might be a luck streak, so be assured Randy has something extra awful cooked up for giving you all that extra time to prepare.

Tynan

Thanks for bringing this up. I'd like to collect more systemic feedback on this.

Poll is here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18823.0

We polled on Cassandra already but not Randy yet.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Fafn1r

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on April 13, 2016, 03:40:07 PM
I mean, when you play on Randy Random, your expectations should be, well, its in his very name for a reason.

I've had RR runs that were nothing but tradeships and drop pods, I've also had RR runs where he thought it'd be a good joke to drop a poison ship on my crops and then a psychic ship at the very edge of the map within 2 weeks of eachother.

I'd imagine it might be a luck streak, so be assured Randy has something extra awful cooked up for giving you all that extra time to prepare.

Well, I think that anyone who picks RR does that with some crazy action in mind and not some horribly boring times. So the randomness factor could be leaning more towards creating drama, instead of being in the middle.

Headshotkill

I love the bipolar random nature of Randy. ;(

Just wait, he will destroy you in an instant if he wants to!

asanbr

Quote from: Nimander on April 13, 2016, 03:32:03 PM
I thought the whole point of Rimworld is to build bases while walking through pools of blood and vomit, while my builder gets his arms torn off...lovey-dovey colonists with high happiness even though they are walking through a field of rotting corpses - the game becomes horribly boring.

Try Ice sheet.

Also, what difficulty RR are you playing?