How to make dry food / kibble?

Started by Shabazza, April 13, 2016, 03:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shabazza

I have a lot of meat, potatoes and berries in my freezer.
But I can't prepare "kibble" at the butcher table. "No material".

One of my guys made some in my early colony days of my current colony.
But never again.
What do I need for this?
I have a bill for it set up with highest priority and I also tried to suspend the bills in the cooking stove to encourage my cook to make that dry food.
But no luck yet.

EDIT: Is "kibble" really the english word for this?
My dictionary does not have a translation that's even near the meaning of the german word in the game... oO

Rahjital

Dry food? You mean kibble? If so, ensure that the colonist has access to both vegetables and meat, kibble needs both despite being made on the butcher table.

cultist

Try deleting the order from the object and making a new one. Usually works, unless there's a bigger issue or a bug.

ChimpX

What's the advantage of feeding your four-legged colonists kibble? I've heard it doesn't spoil, but are there other advantages?

I haven't worried about it thus far; I've just been letting my critters eat straight out of my growing zones without issue.

Rahjital

If I remember things right, 20 vegetables and 20 meat combine into 50 kibble, so it's a net gain; apparently rimworld cooks learned how to break conservation of mass. You can also use human meat in the recipe without the cannibalism mood loss, in case some raiders stop by to donate their bodies to your animal charity.

asanbr

Quote from: Rahjital on April 13, 2016, 04:22:55 PM
If I remember things right, 20 vegetables and 20 meat combine into 50 kibble, so it's a net gain; apparently rimworld cooks learned how to break conservation of mass. You can also use human meat in the recipe without the cannibalism mood loss, in case some raiders stop by to donate their bodies to your animal charity.

On Ice Sheet, I kill my pet first thing after the drop pods arrive. They eat survival meals and everything else. Even human meat is needed for colonists.

Mathenaut

Unfortunately, butchering humans grants a stacking debuff.

However, you can stack corpses in a corner room and set your animals to feed on those.

makapse

butchering only stacks the debuff if the butcher cares about it. All other colonists that care get a -6 mood while repeated butching can get the butcher to -16 so he should be a canibal,psycopath or bloodlust(?) and he wont get it. The -9 mood for seeing multiple corpse is worse if you dont get rid of them. Selling human byproducts is the base of my icesheet economy, getting me a nice 6k silver worth of goods(steel,plas,gold,wood and components) and i get some silver leftover from that transaction too. The wood and steel is vital because it drops down at my base, not some far aay corner that i can mine while winter is going on and i dont have the woolen parkas needed to survive that bitter cold

keylocke

human meat + hay = best combo

remove the other ingredients in the bill so they're not wasted.

Facade

Quote from: Rahjital on April 13, 2016, 04:22:55 PM
Not exactly. I know that Huskies for sure eat more than one unit of Kibble per feeding session. From an empty Food bar to a full one is 10 kibble.

ChimpX

Interesting comments everyone; thank you.

I will keep my eyes open for a crazy-eyed cook.

Rahjital

If you can't get a psychopath, sanguine or iron-willed also make good traits for human butchers because they nearly cancel out the humanoid butchering penalty.

Quote from: Facade on April 13, 2016, 08:17:33 PM
Not exactly. I know that Huskies for sure eat more than one unit of Kibble per feeding session. From an empty Food bar to a full one is 10 kibble.

That applies to all food, kibble is just as nutritious as anything else you might give them.

Shabazza

Quote from: Rahjital on April 13, 2016, 04:01:35 PM
Dry food? You mean kibble? If so, ensure that the colonist has access to both vegetables and meat, kibble needs both despite being made on the butcher table.
They have access. They are hauling stuff from and to my storage all day long.
I also deleted and re-added the bill.

Shabazza

Nevermind. My cook made some more kibble now.
I still don't know what was holding him back.
Strange. But it seems to work somehow...