Auto undraft = bad

Started by Goldenpotatoes, April 13, 2016, 08:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldenpotatoes

The auto un-draft feature, while I can see is useful for stuff like a player accidentally forgetting to un-draft a colonist after a fight, can also causes serious issues with pre-emptive attacks.

I just had a situation where I was moving in my colonists around a poison ship to deal with it. I'm about 120 days in with a few automatic weapons, and luckily enough, regular and EMP grenades I took off a recent sapper attack. I set them in the back and get everyone else to position for attack.

Everyone is in position, and right as my sniper takes the shot and pops the ship..

both grenadiers are undrafted and currently walking directly towards 3 charge lancers, a minigun, and 2 inferno cannons.

I totally save-scummed to retry that scenario after both grenadiers were pretty much instantly destroyed.

The game deciding to revert my decision at the worst possible moment, leaving me with little to no control over the outcome of that scenario was pretty much 100% BS. If you insist on having something like this, change it so instead of auto-undrafting colonists after a period of inactivity, make a side alert pop up letting the player know there is an inactive, drafted colonist they may want to undraft.

Limdood

Agree.

I'd rather just see an icon or something clickable that says "you have drafted colonists"

not even inactive...just...drafted.  If the fight is done, undraft everyone...if the icon is still there, click it, and it'll center on a still-drafted colonist.

Mikhail Reign

Agreed

Quote from: Limdood on April 13, 2016, 09:38:36 PM
Agree.

I'd rather just see an icon or something clickable that says "you have drafted colonists"

not even inactive...just...drafted.  If the fight is done, undraft everyone...if the icon is still there, click it, and it'll center on a still-drafted colonist.

+1 This

Rahjital

Agree.

It used to be that way in the early Alphas. Then it was removed for some reason, and apparently it became too easy to miss having a drafted colonist, so auto-undrafting was added. No idea why, the game should never be overriding player's decisions like that.

Pickle

Quote from: Rahjital on April 14, 2016, 04:21:22 AM
the game should never be overriding player's decisions like that.

I'm completely agree with that.

keylocke

they auto-undraft if you kept them idle for too long.

a simple. pause -> drag select all -> undraft -> draft "fixes" the problem.

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: keylocke on April 14, 2016, 09:00:04 AM

I feel as if you didn't read the actual thread and just responded to the title, seeing how what you said was already addressed and I said why it's still dumb.

Limdood

also, undraft/draft to keep them still will occasionally drop a handful of meals on the ground as all colonists perform an immediate job hunt on being undrafted.

milon

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 14, 2016, 02:53:30 AM
Agreed

Agree.

+1 This

+2 :)

DarknessEyes

Agree.

+1

or add an option to toggle auto undraft on/off in settings.
De Surgeries
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18976.0
Adds 26 new surgeries to Rimworld.

Thane

It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

mumblemumble

Agree,  just have a thing on the side like "toxic fallout",  except "drafted colonists". Maybe flashing every once in a while. Control is absolutely essential in a game where so much is out of our control.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

keylocke

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on April 14, 2016, 10:18:52 AM
Quote from: keylocke on April 14, 2016, 09:00:04 AM

I feel as if you didn't read the actual thread and just responded to the title, seeing how what you said was already addressed and I said why it's still dumb.

ya got me. my bad. that's exactly what i did.  :P

JesterHell

I personally think that pawns should act as much like people as possible and that means refusing to stay drafted unto the point of starvation.

Rahjital

Acting like people would include having a self-preservation instinct and not running straight into a pair of waiting scythers, though. At the very least, pawns should not auto-undraft if there are enemies on the map.