Auto undraft = bad

Started by Goldenpotatoes, April 13, 2016, 08:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blubFisch

+1

(Yes i know the thread is old, but the issue still exists and this comes up when you google it)

b0rsuk

Or just a message "Colonist X abandoned his post", with a sound notification. The worst aspect of auto-undrafting is nasty surprises.

Mehni

Quote from: Rahjital on April 15, 2016, 07:08:19 AM
At the very least, pawns should not auto-undraft if there are enemies on the map.

This is mostly the case. Pawns engaged in battle will never undraft themselves, and they will be a lot more patient with standing At Attention as long as there are active hostiles on the map.

Quotethe game should never be overriding player's decisions like that.

Because players are perfect and never forget about that pawn they left standing somewhere, who is now starving himself to death. Don't worry, he'll auto-undraft when he goes berserk.

I've certainly been in the situation the OP has - but the problem here isn't that pawns auto-undraft. The problem is that it takes 5 RimWorld hours to properly position troops. Something like Squads/Defensive Positions/Achtung to more easily position troops is a much better solution.

maculator

Quote from: Mehni on September 23, 2017, 01:59:47 PM
Because players are perfect and never forget about that pawn they left standing somewhere, who is now starving himself to death. Don't worry, he'll auto-undraft when he goes berserk.
Well I think ppl should stay drafted even if they're about to break. Simply because there are many situations where you have to push them to the limit to make it through a hard raid and undrafting themselves because they're almost starving would mean certain death.

What I would suggest is either a red border arroud the portrait of a drafted colonist, like really red and shiny so you just HAVE to notice it. Or a red border arround the whole screen. Basically anything indicating you're in combat mode with drafted colonists would fix it.
Edit:

Like this:

Its a total overkill but at least you now see when someone is drafted^^

Yoshida Keiji

Not only auto-undraft is a problem but also the re-draft is. I had the same problem after opening an Ancient Structure and after clearing the guardians, I positioned everybody right next to each crypto sleep casket so I could release the spacers and one of the guys took longer because of a movement injury. While I was waiting for the last guy to arrive, all others were auto-undrafting, at first it was no problem for me because I was watching the whole area, but it became a pain in the ass when re-drafting, they wouldn't remain there at least an in-game hour but immediately un-draft instantly after re-positioning.

I agree that there should be some kind of pop-up icon displaying what is affecting each pawn if they are starving or tired. But not let them un-draft because of it. I want my pawns to man-up.

b0rsuk

I think auto-undraft solves the wrong problem. The problem is player being unaware of a colonist becoming exhausted because he/she was forgotten. Instead, it silently makes a decision for player.

Lady Wolf

When assaulting enemy colonies I've found to be a huge problem as well since it can take a while you properly position your squad to attack and set up proper fields of fire while still having cover, and having someone get bored and undrafted mid way through is an amazing frustration.

I've also had this happen while setting up an attack on an enemy siege, my 2 best sniper undrafted and walked out from cover right into the enemy's machine gunners and got near instant killed.

A pop up notice like others have suggested sounds like the ideal solution, though I'd be happy with just having a way to turn it off in the options menu or see a mod that lets you set a configurable timer on how long they drafted for.

Mehni

Quote from: maculator on September 23, 2017, 06:31:34 PM
Basically anything indicating you're in combat mode with drafted colonists would fix it.

Anything? Well, how about a line under the colonists name? Oh look. There it is.

You're missing the problem, instead focusing on a symptom. Pawns auto-undraft because they get bored waiting for you to position them all. The problem isn't the undrafter, it's that the controls for pawn positioning are limited (or that players perceive they have to perfectly position pawns).

Quote from:  b0rsukI think auto-undraft solves the wrong problem. The problem is player being unaware of a colonist becoming exhausted because he/she was forgotten. Instead, it silently makes a decision for player.

Let's not forget there already is a notification for exhaustion/starvation. It might kick in fairly late, but it's there.

maculator

The line under the colonist symbol is like 1px high. And on a decent screen its fairly easy to overlook. Especially when you're in a hard fight And aftwerwards you're buisy patching up your colonists/base/animals and you simply forgett about your drafted buddies.

Colonists should stay drafted until they colappse, but something on the screen should give you an obvious warning about them beeing drafted.
As long as I see whats going on I don't want them to undraft themselves, the player should have 100% control.

Bakar

+1 but there should be a small notifiation if a pawn was drafted for more than a day
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

PatrykSzczescie

+1 everything but auto-undrafting, we can even bear the consequences once we forget.

Penguinmanereikel

Maybe they should just change the indication on the icons for drafted colonists. Right now, it's just underlining. Maybe it should be underlined and emboldened? Or maybe color their icons red or yellow?

maculator

Quote from: Penguinmanereikel on September 24, 2017, 04:02:17 PM
Maybe they should just change the indication on the icons for drafted colonists. Right now, it's just underlining. Maybe it should be underlined and emboldened? Or maybe color their icons red or yellow?
Thats what I suggested a few posts above you.
Quote from: maculator on September 23, 2017, 06:31:34 PM
Like this:

Its a total overkill but at least you now see when someone is drafted^^

Lady Wolf

Just thought I'd post here and let people know CannibarRechter made a really sweet mod that lets you change the pawn auto undraft time. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35560.0

You need to adjust the .xml files in it yourself (which is a deliberate choice by the creator) but it's easy to do and only takes a few seconds and ultimately resolves the problem with pawns auto undrafting. nicely.

Vlad0mi3r

Anyone in the above comments ever take part in any sort of military manoeuvers. I'm not asking if you have been deployed to the front even cadets or scouts?

Ever found someone not paying attention to what is going on? Ever found someone asleep at their post? The game is a colony simulator not a loop and group.

I actually don't think it happens enough. Character traits should reduce it further. Things like the lazy trait should cause Pawns to drop out of draft real fast if nothing is happening. As well as background traits as well.

Now don't get me wrong I am not happy when it happens at that critical moment but it does.

If this guy had the Lazy, Slothful trait I think the whole world could be a very different place:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Buford
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503