[A13] Cooler hot side produces more heat than the cold side cools

Started by Kaizyn, April 14, 2016, 06:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaizyn

I noticed something peculiar happening with coolers happening.   Here's the scenario:

2 enclosed rooms.   A and B with a shared wall.

There's a cooler set to -10C on the shared wall, cold side to A and hot side to B.

Outdoor temperature at -15C.

When I load the game, the cooler stays in "High power" mode and room A is -10C always, and room B is around +16C, so what seems to be happening is the cooler is just trying to change the temperature to the target -10C, even though it's already below that.

If I have a pawn flip the power off and then on, it works as expected (cooler goes to low power mode, and room A and B are both around -14C)

Every time I save and reload, the cooler locks A at -10C again, and B goes back up around +15 to +20C.

I do have a few mods, but nothing related to this in any way that I can think of.   (usual fare like UI/Colonist bar, Hospitality, More Factions, Rimfire, Manager ...)

(edited title after further checking revealed it was a bit different)

Tynan

I'm sorry, I can't understand what you're reporting here. Can you please just say:

1. What the circumstances were.
2. What happened.
3. What you expected to happen.
4. Steps we can follow we can reproduce the bug.

Please?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ison

Kaizyn

Sorry, wrote it in a bit of a hurry there and didn't realize how convoluted I made it sound.

I just started a new game with a totally clean (no mod) install to be sure.    Save game attached.

What you'll see happen in this save is the "hot" room will keep getting hotter, even though the outside temperature is below the cooler target temperature.

So to answer Tynan's questions:

1)   2 rooms, 1 cooler.   Cooler cold side in 1 room, hot side in the other room.     Outside temperature below cooler target temperature.

2)  Hot room keeps getting hotter (but seems to stop once the heat dissipation is high enough to outdo the cooler)

3)  Hot room should lose temperature.   Since the outside temperature is colder than the cold room, we should be losing heat overall.    Effectively, a cooler's hot side produces more heat than it cools.

4)  Save included, but to reproduce:

- Build 2 enclosed rooms with a shared wall.   

- Install cooler with the cold side in 1 room, and hot side in the other room.

- Set cooler to be a bit colder than outside to 'heat up' the warm room a bit   (Say outside is -5C, set the cooler to -7C and wait a moment for the 'hot room' to reach 20C)

- Set the cooler to be a bit warmer than outside  (if outside is -5C, set it to -3C). 

Looks like the 'warm room' is warming the 'cold room' up enough for the cooler to kick in, but the cooler's hot side is producing more heat than the warm room loses, causing the warm room to keep heating up.

(Originally I thought there was some actual issue with the coolers, but now I feel like this is too minor to warrant the effort of looking at!)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Tynan

This is how thermodynamics works. Forced cooling one side by 1 degree means warming the other side by >1 degree.

So it's fine.

Thank you for explaining though.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog