flora rebalancing

Started by PrZe77, April 14, 2016, 08:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrZe77

After a few years, most areas look pretty devastated . Fires destroy large areas all plants ( accelerate killed by hunters boomalops the extreme) as well as cold spells and beaver .
After a while, everything is covered skeletons .
After 2-3 years look forests like deserts and flora and fauna are only to be found at the edge of the map .

It would be good if the could be counteracted . Maybe an event that every year in early spring plants at random can grow anywhere and all plants have an expansions boost until the end of spring.

Fires could leave ash , which lets plants grow quicker .

something776

What if animals spread seeds, sort of like in real life.  As animals walked around they would occasionally drop seeds of some sort, like trees or grass to repopulate devastated areas, making that temperate forest look more like a forest again.
What seeds they would drop would be based off of what they ate, so say they ate berries, then they would drop berry bush seeds.  Say all those beavers eating all those trees dropped tree seeds behind them, so rather then eliminating all the forest, they served to more refresh the area.  Say they ate grass, then they'd spread grass seeds. 
To me this seems like a fairly balanced and realistic solution to the problem (One which has irked me as well).  Otherwise the whole planet would just be a treeless wasteland.

JimmyAgnt007

The center of my maps are always so barren after a toxic fallout.  I think the speed of regrowth is fine but the seeds need to travel farther to get over minor terrain blockage.

Nickvr628

I like the seasons idea. Plants growing faster and spawning more in spring would be a good way to counteract the devestation that elephant herds cause. Seriously, I watch a single elephant eat 4 tiles of grass and still not be full. I have to grow a TON of hay to feed my 4 war elephants.