How to incapacipate everything?

Started by DestroyX, April 14, 2016, 01:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DestroyX

hey there^^

so, while playing with some mods regarding non lethal weapons i started to wonder, what is it that makes enemies magically die after  the smallest hits ever all the time?

i modded around some weapons so they do way more pain to the enemy to make them incap faster, since i want to make a prison in my next base.
however, whatever i do, most enemies just die for no reason, even tho they only have like 3-4 damage on some bodyparts.
even with fire the chance they survive is quite low.
so.. what causes it that some raiders need every bodypart cut off till they finally accept to die, while others just dont feel like it and succumb to a breeze?

i read that it has to do with storytellers.. is there a way around it?
i want enemies to behave just like colonists, they survive through hell and back all the time.. well mostly :D

so basically.. what can i do to achieve that, either ingame or while fiddling with the gamefiles?

milon

That would be a C# mod to change the baked-in behavior.  Either that, or dev tool -> incap pawn.

DestroyX

duh... sucks then.. i hoped fiddling with the files would be maybe enough, but c# mods are still beyond me.. sadly

milon

Yeah, me too.

XML mods can only modify graphics & sounds & (most) numbers within existing systems (content mods).  If you want to modify a system itself, you have to go the C# route.

Aarkreinsil

This just happened to me with a friendly trader that went berserk. I just sent in a few people to punch the gal in question until she would pass out from the pain (that's what I always do with berserking people and it had never killed anyone before).

Now the allied lady suddenly died, with all her body parts intact and like 5 bruises spread out across her entire body, immediately making her faction hostile to me. Are there any rules for this?

Mikhail Reign

Isn't there some kind of rng roll when a pawn is downed to determine if they die? I've seen a pawn die of a leg scratch that didn't draw blood, n when I commented on the boards about it, someone told me something along those lines.

Aarkreinsil

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on April 15, 2016, 10:58:07 AM
Isn't there some kind of rng roll when a pawn is downed to determine if they die? I've seen a pawn die of a leg scratch that didn't draw blood, n when I commented on the boards about it, someone told me something along those lines.

I don't quite get it, though. Now that we have prison breaks, and given that it's actually rather hard to recruit, equip/outfit and even MAKE USE of new people, I don't really see the reason for this limitation. Especially with friendly factions, since arresting one of them immediately turns them hostile anyway, thus being a ridiculously huge tradeoff for using them as a source of recruits.

Even the body part harvesting has been nerfed quite thoroughly with the immense, colony-wide mood and relationship debuffs and failing surgeries.

It really comes down to this:
If a pawn receives lethal damage = 100% dead
If a pawn goes down due to pain or a leg being shot off = Some kind of RNG (storyteller?) decides

Try ramping up the minimum and maximum desired population limits for your storyteller and see what happens to the ratio of incapped vs killed people.

Rahjital

It's because if you could incap every enemy, soon enough you'd end up with a small army of colonists and the game just isn't designed for that. Pawns from other factions get randomly killed when they should have been incapped to prevent that, and for some reason it also applies to animals and mechanoids to a lesser degree.

I too would like to see it gone, at least for animals, mechanoids and friendly factions.

Argelle

Quote from: Aarkreinsil on April 15, 2016, 11:06:07 AMTry ramping up the minimum and maximum desired population limits for your storyteller (....)

I must have skiped this. Once game is started, any way to retreview this info?

DestroyX

well, i just completely deleted the population settings from my storyteller in my current game.
i did a test with the debugging stuff before, there were still ppl killed from literally a scratch, however, in an extended gameplay it seems a bit more bearable. however, the (hardcoded..?) core of the problem is still there, sadly

i'd really wish this would be more like in dwarf fortress where everyone is way sturdier.. but a lucky hit (or a bite to the eye ;D) can still kill you out of the cold.
however.. that'd probably need some kind of melee rework.. i also made a post about it, since i really think there should  be more benefits to the melee stat, like dodge and parry chance, maybe counterstriking etc.
right now its just the average hit a bit better skill thats basically useless since its bumrush anyways

but i'm drifting away^^"

Rahjital

Well, in DF you get new recruits through migrant waves, so there's no need for a genocidal storyteller to murder those who can't fight any longer. Plus it makes things somewhat more realistic in that most riders end up dead. In Rimworld it can take days to bleed out, and the only real way to die is to have your torso, head, or vital organs torn to shreds.

DestroyX

well, this is true for your pawns, right.
however, enemies mostly just die to randomness