Minable components?

Started by hoochy, April 14, 2016, 11:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoochy

Does it seem weird to anyone else that components can be mined? Its like digging a hole and finding intel CPUs in the dirt? :)

Mechanoid Hivemind

Quote from: hoochy on April 14, 2016, 11:19:20 PM
Does it seem weird to anyone else that components can be mined? Its like digging a hole and finding intel CPUs in the dirt? :)
Growable Gaming computer huh? I must go engineer things and stuff!
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

Kluge

I think the idea was that it's like... bunchs of cogs and whatnot all compacted in there, like if a giant trash compacter squeezed a junkyard, which I suppose is what might happen if a steampunk space vessel crashed into a mountain... or something. Idunno... Might work better if components were much more plentiful, but could be found inside set pieces, with the mine-able machinery removed.

rexx1888

the premise is that its old civilisation tech, from civilisations both advanced an not. its scrap and pieces of electronics etc that the colonists use to make do

Keychan

Like what Kluge said, I believe these walls are just ship parts or old tech of the world that have been there for ages and buried.  Think of it as more like scrapping apart broken machines and finding wires, pipes, and circuits rather than some act of nature creating complex circuitry.

JonoRig

Wouldn't it make sense more to have a few component chunks hidden inside steel or plasteel deposits then, as if they were inside old machines or ships...  It is a little odd that you just get 2 or 3 isolated minable blocks that work straight off the bat.

I get what ty is going for, and like the idea, just think it needs more fleshing out so we can really feel like we are building atop the ruins of an ancient society or passed ship wrecks

ChimpX

It makes sense, actually: scavenging Fallout-style.

It just seems weird because mining is the mechanic Tynan decided to use to do it.

hoochy

The current mining concept in Rimworld needs reworking imo. With maps that don't have mountains or hills (we want this?) you are pretty nerfed from being able to do anything until someone can sell it to you. You should be able to build something which drills down and gets resources. Maybe I should create a post on it.

Kluge

Quote from: hoochy on April 15, 2016, 10:27:02 PM
The current mining concept in Rimworld needs reworking imo. With maps that don't have mountains or hills (we want this?) you are pretty nerfed from being able to do anything until someone can sell it to you. You should be able to build something which drills down and gets resources. Maybe I should create a post on it.
There are 2-3 mods which do this, but I forget their names and am unsure if they've been updated to A13, yet. Probably some of the larger "overhaul"-type mods.

-But yeah, something BALANCED to make non-mountain play more viable in vanilla would be cool. I'd guess it'd mostly involve feeding the machine lots and lots of wood.... maybe a player will even farm trees AFTER realizing they don't anything but wood.

Shurp

Non mountain maps were playable in a12 when we had trade ships show up regularly.  You could grow hops, sell beer, and buy all the steel you needed.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

makapse

all types of maps were viable like that.Butcher the raiders, sell that meat and leather and buy the steel from the same guys, no need for silver to come in between

hoochy

I started a thread about my ideas on mining, to improve the base game.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18987.0

If I find the time I will make this mod myself, for myself, anyhow.  ;)

paShadoWnSmurf1

This game haves many derps ranging from silly to insane. Millenials...