Your uses for jade? (poll)

Started by Limdood, April 15, 2016, 12:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your thoughts on the jade material in A13?

It's fantastic!  I use it as much as I can!
2 (2.3%)
Pretty decent.  I've used it some for a few things i was happy with.
5 (5.7%)
Whatever.  Haven't bothered with it.
35 (39.8%)
Has promise.  I'm trying to think of a use for it or trying to get enough to try a great idea!
25 (28.4%)
Bad.  Waste of space in my colony.  Haven't used it for anything worthwhile.
21 (23.9%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Limdood

So i assume Tynan would like input on the various features he's added.  I've seen a few threads appear, community and developer started exploring some of the features.

In all that though, i haven't seen any mention of jade.  And i'm not surprised.

I was originally excited by jade.  A new material with a higher beauty modifier than marble, AND it is better mathematically for blunt weapons than any other substance?  Heck yeah!  Let the jade maces loose!

Then, however, i realized that maces cannot be made of jade.  Furthermore, jade is a "small" resource, so you need 20x more of it than another material for the same effect.

The net effect was....nothing.  I have mined and smelted over 900 jade in my current 200 day game (A13 vanilla) and I have no use for it at all.  Making a statue out of it would give me a marginally higher beauty rating than marble, and i could sell it...but i don't have 2000 jade yet, won't for a while, and could never contemplate keeping it, as for a small beauty bonus i'd be skyrocketing my colony's wealth.  A jade club is much the same.  While it'd be a phenomenal blunt weapon at high qualities, it would be hard pressed to even surpass a steel longsword, and the value of the weapon (for using) alone would probably give me 2-4 extra raiders due to wealth spike.

In short, its too hard to get, uses too much to be practical, too slow to acquire for selling, and too expensive to use.

I think that almost all of jade's problems could be solved if it simply weren't a "small quantity" material, so that 900 jade i have could give me a half dozen small statues and a club or two to really give it a good chance as a go-to material (like plasteel is currently).  I didn't add that to the poll i made, but if you agree, feel free to comment that in a post.

In the interests of information gathering, vote and post your thoughts on the new material in this thread if you want.

christhekiller

Yeah, I haven't found it in enough quantities to use it for anything. So I just sell it to the first buyer

Robovski

I have yet to find/mine a useable ammount of jade. I think the most I've had was about 200, not enough for anything but sale. I'd love to make a statue from it but I don't see myself buying 1800 jade to do so.

Pickle

I'd like to make a statue too, but I got only 400 with mining and smelting.

Coenmcj

It's kind of expensive and extremely rare, so it's not really worth keeping, just sell it off, especially with such a lack of orbital traders... So you can't really sell statues anymore, since caravans rarely carry the moolah required to pay for it.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Limdood

feels like a failure of the feature addition to really only be used to sell to traders.  In that context it seems like nothing was added at all (in regards to jade, not the other A13 features)

Listen1

The component is a really nice idea, it opens the doors to another gems, like amethysts, diamonds, etc.

Right now, I agree with the OP, the amount required to make something is too high compared to a normal resource, and the amount you can obtain is too low.

my would be to increase the frequency it shows up on traders, but not reduce it's price nor requirements. About the mace, I would like to see them made of jade too.

PotatoeTater

I agree, it takes a lot to make anything. I usually just keep mine as another currency type. I will sell it off to a trader if I don't have enough silver to cover a purchase.
Life is Strange

nuschler22

I was excited to see it on my map, but as you guys said, I can't use it for anything. 

Actually, that's why I came to this topic.  To see if anyone had something useful to do with it.

koisama

I have quite a lot of jade (1.8k), but it's nowhere enough to make a large sculpture. So it's just a waste of space.

DNK

It'd be nice if you could "add" it to things, and in doing so increase their beauty/wealth. I think DF does that, right? It's nice, because you can get really unique items, like a (to use RW examples) plasteel sword with jade inserts and a muffalo leather handle, all of which alters the value, fighting properties, etc.

If Tynan wants to continue down this "precious stone" route, he needs to add this sort of functionality and add more depth into crafting and arts. The current state of these is pretty rudimentary and lacking in options - small or large statue? Just decor and adornment in general needs a LOT of fleshing out for this to be, in my eyes, a "final release" (and I know there's time to go before we get there, just saying).

b0rsuk

It's Gold Mk2, with the benefit that you don't need to save it for the multi-analyzer.

In my current game I have a sculptor with 20 skill. I'm waiting for his gut worms to wear off, because reduced consciousness might impact quality of sculptures. I've found exactly 140 jade, which how much you need for a small statue. It will probably be shoddy...

Vaporisor

I haven't found much use for it yet, but hoping it will get more potential.  Resource is one of the lower parts of gameplay for me til I can get that trading buying/selling of buying raw and selling going.  For now, it is just something to make art out of if I get it and with extra silver, I buy, make an sell again.  If I do more, it is just because profits let me surplus to theme bling.

What I would like to see is joy apparel.  Use gold or jade to make items that give a lower mood boost for being pretty and of course greedy people need the nicest.  Ascetic dislike it.  But the small quantity stuff almost feels like a grind to me.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Limdood

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 29, 2016, 07:47:20 PM
It's Gold Mk2, with the benefit that you don't need to save it for the multi-analyzer.

In my current game I have a sculptor with 20 skill. I'm waiting for his gut worms to wear off, because reduced consciousness might impact quality of sculptures. I've found exactly 140 jade, which how much you need for a small statue. It will probably be shoddy...
pretty sure you need 2800 jade for a small statue, its a "small quantity" material, so you need 20x as much as steel/wood/stone

Gennadios

I'm fine with Jade as an endgame cash sink macguffin, but I really hope this isn't a precedent for the useful resources. I don't want any extra weapon tiers past Plasteel (or is Uranium technically better for melee weapons?) the game will just start feeling like an MMO grind at that point.

I like Rimworld with a small pool of base materials, and I'd much rather have more stuff to build with the resources that are available in the game.