Separate skilled and non-skilled construction

Started by Rock5, April 15, 2016, 01:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock5

Crafting has methods to control who uses benches that make quality items, ie. set minimum skill level on bills. And I just read on another post you can use an exclude area to stop your skilled crafter using low skill benches. I might have to use that. But it would be better to have a double ended slider for the skill level on the bill similar to the quality and hp slider. But as it stands, it's usable.

But now that constructors can build quality furniture I find myself only allowing my best constructor to construct so I don't accidentally have a poor constructor make poor quality furniture. But when I have a lot of regular construction to do, eg. walls, doors, defenses etc., I'd like more people to pitch in.

Trying to control who does what construction is not so easy. I could use an reserved area that only the skilled constructor could access and build furniture there but then no one else would be able to enter that area to move the furniture and I wouldn't want to limit who can move the furniture.

I think this really need a separate skill. Instead of just "Construction", have a "Skilled construction" and " Low skilled construction". Or "Construction" and "Furniture building", I think furniture is the only quality items builders make. Or best yet "Construction" and "Carpentry".

What do you think?
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

hwoo

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Rock5 on April 15, 2016, 01:19:15 AMBut it would be better to have a double ended slider for the skill level on the bill similar to the quality and hp slider.

I miss the mod that did that. So useful. I cannot understand why Ty implemented only half of it. Boggles the mind.

Aarkreinsil

Reminds me of the "Crafting" and "Smithing/Tailoring" skills. Crafting is just for low-level stuff like stonecutting and smelting, so you might as well enable it for everyone. Smithing and tailoring then can be reserved for the actual uber-godlike crafters.

I'd go even further and say that low skilled construction should include hauling materials to furniture, so the skilled builder only has to assemble the materials on site.

Distorti0N

Now, I tend only to lurk on the forums. Reading, watching and downloading mods.
But I have to say, if ever there is a feature I wanted in Rimworld, it's this.

I agree with every single thing you mentioned. And what Aarkreinsil said about having low skilled pawns hauling
materials for the skilled pawn to come and assemble it all... Well, I was thinking this just yesterday and have been
searching high and low for a mod to do just this.
Honestly, I think it should be added to the core game. Hopefully we'll see it in A14.

Edit: Look at that, didn't even realise that was my first ever post, just to agree with what you said lol.