Custom Music

Started by Elixiar, April 15, 2016, 12:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elixiar

Hey guys,

The music in this game is great, but sometimes I feel like adding a more sci-fi 'Deus ex Machina (film)' type thing to it, how would I go about implementing it?

(not replace battle music just ambient downtime playlist)
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Mightyrick1

It's pretty simple, you just need to know what you are doing.

You need to create a map called Defs and in that a submap called SongDefs, then create a .xml file which contains the following lines :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<SongDefs>

<SongDef>
      <clipPath>track1</clipPath>
      <volume>0.9</volume>
      <allowedTimeOfDay>Day</allowedTimeOfDay>
   </SongDef>

<SongDef>
      <clipPath>track2</clipPath>
      <volume>0.8</volume>
      <allowedTimeOfDay>night</allowedTimeOfDay>
   </SongDef>

<SongDef>
      <clipPath>track3</clipPath>
   </SongDef>

</SongDefs>

The 3 examples provided above all work, except in this particular case "track1" will only play during the day, "track2" will only work during the night, and "track3" is able to play no matter what. Do note, that in the examples above I played around with some variables. You can independantly increase or decrease the volume with the <volume></volume> tags, which should speak for itself, and the optional restriction of when it plays is controlled with the <allowedTimeOfDay></allowedTimeOfDay> tags.

At this stage, you've got the code, but you're not 100% done just yet. Now you need to include a Sounds map in your mod folder, which contains the new music tracks. Do note, in the clipPath you reference "track1" and not "track1.wav", referencing to the latter will give you an error.

Now all you need to do to have a working mod is to include a .wav file corresponding to the correct name in your Sounds folder and you should be good to go!
I might actually go ahead and write an "official" guide on this in the help section, because this was something that I myself struggled with for a good hour or so.
Amateur modder / YT LPer at www.tiny.cc/DDYoutube
mods : Elysian Flags - Mscarsonelle's theme

Elixiar

Hey sorry for the late response, thanks a ton!

Will go ahead and try this out now!
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist