Component assembly irony

Started by Pickle, April 15, 2016, 02:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenWL

Quote from: makapse on April 16, 2016, 10:43:52 AM
thats strip mining.Its used to find ore deposits inside mountains. If you have ever played dwarf fortress or minecraft you will understand whats the best way to do it.
Technically speaking, branch mining.

I think the component assembly bench would be worth it because it lets you make components from something easily gotten-steel. While the cost thing is rather ridiculous, 30 steel isn't that big of a cost(especially by the time you can make components), and having components on-demand is pretty handy.

However, I don't think there really is a good way to fix the cost gig. If components where as expensive as the steel it takes to make 60$-ish, since traders give higher prices, that'll make components sell probably at a cost of 70$ or so. If that's the case, 10 components will cost around 700$. It might not be much to late-game colonies, but it could make it a bit too annoying for early/mid-game colonies.

Shurp

A unit of gold per component?  Great idea if your goal is to kill every colony that doesn't have mineable gold on the map.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Mathenaut

It's not practical and it's not cheaper, though. So the (mostly fake) difficulty in getting it is... mostly wasted effort.

erdrik

thats strip mining.Its used to find ore deposits inside mountains. If you have ever played dwarf fortress or minecraft you will understand whats the best way to do it.

Yes I know what it is I asked if it was common.
I ask because Ive never felt the need to strip mine, and that hasn't changed in A13 so far...

Kluge

Quote from: erdrik on April 16, 2016, 05:27:51 PM

Yes I know what it is I asked if it was common.
I ask because Ive never felt the need to strip mine, and that hasn't changed in A13 so far...
It's certainly not a rare practice. VeinMine (MineVein? VeinMiner?) mod has a very handy tool for mass-stripping so you aren't dragging tons of lines, which looks like a pain.

mumblemumble

The whole "materials more expensive than the end product" idea isn't just these, beer too. Beer take 5 hops for 1 bottle, yet are only a little over 4 times the price of raw hops... I'm guessing there's other examples too.

Though I think an economy update would fix this up quite a bit, I think a space trader might sell them cheaper (first world sectors would have them made in mass) while another faction might pay good money, considering its rarer on a backwater planet.

Supply and demand as a factor to economics would be really cool

Also, yeah, 30 steel for 1 component is way too much. I think 10, or even 5 would be more reasonable, but just take a long time to do batches. They really shouldn't take much materials, but just be a very fine skill job to create, taking time...labor IS a commodity in the game, after all.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Limdood

Quote from: Shurp on April 16, 2016, 10:46:56 AM
The machining table is for making weapons and armor.  If I want to make a survival rifle, armor vest, and Kevlar helmet for each of my colonists, it's 7 components apiece.  That's 56 components for a modest colony of 8 colonists.

Now if we could scavange components from weapons and armor dropped by pirate raiders...

or you could just make a survival rifle for 8 of your colonists, giving the other 2 the full armor vest, kevlar helmet and a shotgun, and stick them in front.  the back colonists don't get shot.

It SHOULD be hard to kit your entire colony out with military hardware.  My only colonists get armor as i scavenge it up, in the order of melee fighters, hunters, PDW/shotgunners, then other shooters.

If i could kit my colonists out with an assault rifle, armor vest, and kevlar helmet for 4 components, or charge rifle & power armor/helmet for like 10 components, it would be way too easy to get "perfect" gear.