(A13) Stuck builder causes performance drop.

Started by Mihsan, April 15, 2016, 03:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mihsan

1. Circumstances: had some strange performance drop (constant freezes kind of). It was showing from 9h to 0h, then at night it was OK.
2. Found out that I had worker stuck between two wall. Seems like he was spamming some stuff to game's logic. At 0h he was going to sleep so performance was good until the moment he wakes up.
3. Expected: stuck worker not killing performance of the game.
4. Reproduce: build wall around your colonist.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

TheNewNo2

I noticed someone walling themselves in before, though didn't particularly notice any performance drop.

I do wonder if colonists are walling themselves in more with this update. They get to a corner, build the walls to each side, then realise they can't get out.

Mihsan

Quote from: TheNewNo2 on April 16, 2016, 04:23:08 AM
I noticed someone walling themselves in before, though didn't particularly notice any performance drop.

I do wonder if colonists are walling themselves in more with this update. They get to a corner, build the walls to each side, then realise they can't get out.
I saw people stuck behind wall too. But exactly this configuration causes performance drop. Had this two times already.

TheNewNo2

Just had someone wall themselves in (twice), and it caused the performance loss.

Fluffy (l2032)

It's a nice warning that something is wrong though, otherwise you'd just find a skeleton behind a wall a couple of weeks later :P

Commander Beanbag

Phew, I thought it was the ol' late-game hitching making a return.

ison

Could you upload the savefile? I've tried to do it, but I didn't notice any performance drops.

//edit: I've optimized construction job a little bit, but I'm not sure if it will solve the issue

Mihsan

Save file attached. See for colonist "Sparkles". Had to recreate this situation since I lost that save file. Also had to kill all plants to get filesize under forum's limit.

P.S.: This is also done on my 2nd PC, so this performance drop should not be my hardware problem.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

mumblemumble

Can confirm this happens,  it's a very small stuttering every few seconds,  like a split second lag spike.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

ison

Thanks for the savefile. The performance drop is caused by the fact that the stuck colonist is looking for jobs more often than other colonists. In order to fix this we would have to optimize all work givers. Anyway, it's not really a bug, locking.