[CustomScenario] (Alpha 1) Zombie Defence (v.3.1a)

Started by ItchyFlea, February 02, 2014, 04:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

UPDATED for RimWorld Alpha (0.1.334)

This is a custom scenario where you must defend your colonists and base from wave after wave of zombie attacks. Each wave has twice the number of zombies that the previous wave had. (Final wave has 128 zombies.) The zombies will start attacking sometime after day 15.

No mods are required to play this scenario. Simply download, unzip and place in your RimWorld save folder.
Scenario Map: 0.1.334 Zombie Defence v3.1a

Some things to note:
• The storyteller AI has been disabled. When you have defeated all the zombies, that's it, game over.
• There are 2 trade ships in orbit that should stay until after the final wave.
• While it is possible to capture the zombies, do NOT recruit them! (They are heavily modified raiders and will cause problems)
• The final few waves are spaced further apart than the previous waves.
• Do not enter the zombie holding area, unless you want all of them to attack at once.
• For performance reasons, all plants have been removed.

Known Issues:
• Due to the huge number of zombies present when the map loads, the game may run slowly. This is no solution to this.

Fixed Issue:
• Zombie containment area could burn down. Converted walls to rock to solve this.

If you encounter any bugs, post them in this thread and include a copy of the save file.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

ItchyFlea

A few screenshots of how well/badly I do: (Resized by imgur to 1280x720)

Woefully unprepared:

The result:

Bonus image: http://i.imgur.com/uAFCwma.png
A bug with how I was handling the AIKing that controls the zombies. Basically I didn't correctly assign most of the zombies to the AIKing, resulting in them wandering around the entire map instead of staying contained.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Ender

Lol poor itchy flea, at least now you know my pain the first time i tried the map, and thanks for updating this! I was gonna ask for it to be updated really soon, now i don't have to! >:D
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

ItchyFlea

I'm going to try keeping this one always updated for new versions of the game, as for the other ones, probably not. I love playing this just a little too much.  :D

Except the 'Raid a Pirate base' one. Although I'm going to hold off for alpha 2, as I want to add a few custom things to it that cannot be done via save-file editing.

Ender

Quote from: ItchyFlea on February 08, 2014, 12:06:25 AM
I'm going to try keeping this one always updated for new versions of the game, as for the other ones, probably not. I love playing this just a little too much.  :D

Except the 'Raid a Pirate base' one. Although I'm going to hold off for alpha 2, as I want to add a few custom things to it that cannot be done via save-file editing.
ya, i could never actually be successful at the raiders one. But its good that you like the zombie mode so much because so do I!

Tynan

Makes me want to add a zombie attack incident... modders to the rescue? :D
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

keensta

Quote from: Tynan on February 12, 2014, 11:23:38 PM
Is it even possible yet? Or is it alpha 2 when that's possible also I guess I'll need to look through all the mods stuff.

Only thing that is a problem with this that's not its own fault is lag with loading them zombies that's just down to game performance and my pc other wise it's a A* scenario. :)
Check out my RimWorld SaveEditor
It removes slag and rock debris.

I mostly hang around in the Mod section of the forum. Yet I don't have a Mod :o.

palandus

It may be because the video card isn't taking up any of the slack. Apparently you have to force a game through its code in Unity to have graphical/physics assets loaded on the Graphics card. What this means is that instead of Rimworld using your GPUs and VRAM to load graphical assets, your CPU and RAM is loading the graphical assets, which causes a massive bottleneck as the game currently only uses a single processing core.

All assets everywhere focused on a single core/thread. That's why dealing with multithreading is an important issue that really needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. The more stuff that is added to the game will just add more and more pressure to the single thread/processor which will eventually cause the game to be unplayable and result in a CTD or complete computer freeze... whichever happens first.

Tynan

Not sure what you mean about the GPU... texture data always goes on the GPU, and the GPU always renders the triangles and runs the shader code. Unity doesn't even have software rendering. I don't think any game engines have for many years. Certainly the CPU loads the assets onto the GPU, but this takes less than a second and only happens at startup.

As for multithreading, this is a separate issue. The game is single-threaded right now, but it hasn't been a blocking issue and I doubt anyone wants to wait the several months it would take for me to implement a multicore solution. It's totally feasible to run 40 characters on the map with a single modern processor core; there's really no reason to tunnel into technical perfectionism.

I'd much rather pursue interface/balance/story generation perfectionism. Yeah, maybe it's a bit less attractive to our OCD instincts, but the payoff is much, much greater.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

palandus

My apologies, I must have misunderstood that point with the GPU. Thanks for pointing it out, Tynan!

Ender

Quote from: Tynan on February 12, 2014, 11:23:38 PM
I was just thinking about something just like that, seeing as we can already spawn raiders with the debug feature. so it seems to me it might be possible to do the same thing with the zombies? Then again I'm only just now on my first course for Javascript and c++ so i may be totally wrong :P

RimLover

Hey, I placed the file in my savegame directory, but it didnt take any effect.

How is it working ?! Pls tell me

ItchyFlea

You'll need to unzip it first, then you'll be able to load it in the game. I zipped it with 7zip, which you can get for free here: http://www.7-zip.org/

RimLover