Is it possible to remove components entirely in a mod, and use old recipes?

Started by nuschler22, April 15, 2016, 04:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuschler22

The game is too frustrating and loses any element of fun with the components for me.  Having so much gold in recipes is a deal breaker too.

I really enjoy this game.  I would like to continue playing it.

Hopefully there are some that don't like the components element and the increased gold usage and make a mod. 

Thanks. :)

It's not that hard, just some xml edits.  It's something that you could cut your teeth on making a mod for.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

AlwaysBugged

Quote from: 1000101 on April 15, 2016, 08:48:29 PM
It's not that hard, just some xml edits.  It's something that you could cut your teeth on making a mod for.

I've just sifted through the entire Core folder defs and the closest thing i found to components was a bloody reference to components in the WorkGivers.xml

Incident Defs also contain no reference to components and i simply can't find the bloody trigger for broken components anywhere. Any chance you could kindly point me out the right .xml i need to fuck with to reduce the broken down components to something less than once a bloody day? (Yes, my RNG sucks, that's why i want and need to change it).

So far notepad++ gives me only returns on "BrokenDownBuilding" but absolutely no trigger for the event.

cuproPanda

All you need to do is remove CompBreakdownable from the buildings. Check all the defs in ThingDefs_Buildings to be sure.
cuproPanda's Mods: Survivalist's Additions, Additional Joy Objects, Cupro's Drinks, Quarry, Cupro's Stones, Zen Garden, Cupro's Alloys, Preset Filtered Zones, & more!

RazorHed

I like components , but what I did was improve the recipe to not be so dreadful , then I increased the number of, size of and amount mined from all minerals . its not quite balanced but it works for me

AlwaysBugged

Quote from: cuproPanda on May 10, 2016, 02:07:58 AM
All you need to do is remove CompBreakdownable from the buildings. Check all the defs in ThingDefs_Buildings to be sure.

THANKS A LOT, A LOT, seriously.

But still, is there a way to change the incidence rather than outright removing it? If there isn't i'll just resort to this.

skullywag

There is no incident its a map component always ticking, always checking for that comp.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

AlwaysBugged

Quote from: skullywag on May 10, 2016, 02:43:06 AM
There is no incident its a map component always ticking, always checking for that comp.

That settles it then, off we go removing shit. Thanks Skully, love your mods.

RemingtonRyder

I was actually thinking, could the vanilla BreakDownManager be assassinated and replaced by a manager which doesn't go 'aha! 1041 ticks have passed! time to look for something to break!'

Igabod

My only complaint with the components system is that it's not very balanced. You can mine for a handful of components but those quickly go away. My solution there would be to increase the size of veins. You can buy them from traders but most traders don't carry enough components to build much. My solution there would be to increase the number of components carried. You can make them in late game but they cost a LOT of metal for just one component. My solution there is to decrease the metal cost and also reduce the amount of research needed to get to that worktable. And you can sometimes find ship parts to harvest but in my few games those were few and far between and the random event where they fall from the sky was so rare that it didn't really make a huge difference.

So really I would like to see a mod that balances the components a bit more. Reducing the component cost for some items could also go a long way. I don't want components removed completely from the game. Just balance it.

LanMc

I am not fond of the addition of components.  I understand wanting a challenge, but for me this addition is too much.  Especially if you start with few "mineable" (yes, I make up words...) resources.  Without mods like Quarry I would have been in quite a pickle. 

Also, everything breaking down all the time?  Annoying when I am trying to build up a base.

I preferred the game without the addition of components and constant breakdowns.  If anyone comes up with a solution (i.e. mod) that removes them, I will be very happy to use it.  Just saying...
Hi, my name is Lan and I am a Rimworld addict...

RemingtonRyder

I've noticed that if caravan traders bring components with them to a freezing cold colony location and then the pack muffalo all start to suffer from hypothermia, you can end up with loads of components as well as all the other loot.

I tried making a mod ItsRainingChunks which increases the number of ship chunks which drop with the ShipChunkDrop event (increasing the supply of components) but that didn't work. Doubtless someone else will figure out how to do it! :)