[A17] Enhanced Development - Poll About Steam A18

Started by Jaxxa, April 16, 2016, 02:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Steam Workshop Mods have a separate entries for each Alpha Release or a single entry that gets updated?

After the Official Release update the existing Entry of mods to the new release
47 (59.5%)
Create a new Mod Entry for each Alpha
32 (40.5%)

Total Members Voted: 79

harpo99999

yes I had (for the first time ) downloaded the ED-LaserDrill-02.00.00.zip and for the second ED_LaserDrill_02.00.00.zip, and additonal info that might help to sort this is that even in god mode I can not place the laser drill using the extracted ED_LaserDrill_02.00.00.zip
hope this helps

Jaxxa

What version of the game are you running?

Can you confirm that you have the .dll in the Assemblies folder?

Are you you using the LaserDrill not the LaserFiller.

harpo99999

running on the older 0.14.1234, no assemblies folder OR .dll, and yes the laser drill, interestinly the ED-LaserDrill_02.00.00.zip does contain a assemblies folder (had extraced it with several other mods using 7zip integrated commands), and I will attempt a re-extract to correct folder

Jaxxa

You will need to be using the one that contains the .dll file.

The one without it was an error in the initial upload.

hoochy

Hey Jaxxa, I see you limited sub space transponder to only one at a time. Is it possible to allow that to be changed in the XML file? With the much longer time they take to charge and call I feel like limiting them to only one at a time is a bit unbalanced.

CrazyCoco

I'm unsure if it's just the setup of my defenses (http://puu.sh/q8RI1/a4ce5507e8.jpg), but it seems like all raiders don't even try to shoot at the embrasures. They just bumrush them and start meleeing them. Is this intentional?

Jaxxa

Quote from: hoochy on July 20, 2016, 10:36:50 PM
Hey Jaxxa, I see you limited sub space transponder to only one at a time. Is it possible to allow that to be changed in the XML file? With the much longer time they take to charge and call I feel like limiting them to only one at a time is a bit unbalanced.

Since they take twice as long to charge as they do to call and the limit of one at a time is only the calling, you should be able to have three transponders, 2 charging and one calling at any one time. How much stuff do you need to be selling? Does this not appear to be enough? There is a limit in the game of the Max number of trade ships that can be around at any one time so I want to keep below that number.

Quote from: CrazyCoco on July 20, 2016, 10:42:35 PM
I'm unsure if it's just the setup of my defenses (http://puu.sh/q8RI1/a4ce5507e8.jpg), but it seems like all raiders don't even try to shoot at the embrasures. They just bumrush them and start meleeing them. Is this intentional?

That is not intended and looks like a bug that I will investigate. Although I dont know that there is much I can do as that is more about how the AI is dealing with it and I dont want to be making any large AI changes.

CrazyCoco

Quote from: Jaxxa on July 20, 2016, 11:42:41 PM
That is not intended and looks like a bug that I will investigate. Although I dont know that there is much I can do as that is more about how the AI is dealing with it and I dont want to be making any large AI changes.

Okay, thank you! Also, have you considered adding the ability for the smaller turrets to be reinstalled, like the basic turret?

Jaxxa

I can confirm that this will be in the next version, out Tonight / Tomorrow. This was actually sent as a Pull request by retep998 on Github, I just have not had time to release it yet.

CrazyCoco

Nevermind then! Thank you very much for your hard work!

Jaxxa

No problem, I would rather have multiple suggestions that less suggestions / feedback.

hoochy

Quote from: Jaxxa on July 20, 2016, 11:42:41 PM
Since they take twice as long to charge as they do to call and the limit of one at a time is only the calling, you should be able to have three transponders, 2 charging and one calling at any one time. How much stuff do you need to be selling? Does this not appear to be enough? There is a limit in the game of the Max number of trade ships that can be around at any one time so I want to keep below that number.

The limit is 5 trade ships at once, at least it was in Alpha 13, since you changed your mod I haven't got more than 3 at any one time, now I mainly only have one at a time.

Maybe a research item "research upgrade 2 trade ships at once " then 3 then 4 then 5, for instance. And I would love the ability for the time taken to call them to decrease too as a research item. I know it must be relatively easy for you to specify this in your DLL and it would allow those of us who need more trade ships the option to have it. I also think you should increase the power cost of these things to maybe 3000 or 4000 watts. This would then lead to decisions to how many do you really want to be running since they consume so much. Sure I can have 5 running but then I need massive power drain. And when you think about what these things do, beam into outer space, consuming lots of power makes sense.

Trading at the moment in Rimworld is just poorly done and your mod is pretty much the only thing that balances it at all. Sure I could just increase the "chance" they happen randomly in the XML but your mod feels like much less of a cheat and also gives the player some control over trading. Your mod is something I think is essential to the game as it is, and it will hopefully be incorporated into the main game at some point. I play pretty large bases every time and there is just too much stuff to sell and that you need to buy to rely on the core game mechanic.

Is it also possible for this mod to include a way to contact caravans?

Jaxxa

Why do you need so many Trade ships? Are you trying to offload massive amounts of goods or trying to buy something specific? How many do you think you would need / how often?

I am wanting to keep a bit of realism / balance.

I will look into contacting caravans, I would assume that they are working in a similar way but have not looked into that yet, but it is probably a good idea to allow it to be called.

hoochy

Quote from: Jaxxa on July 21, 2016, 10:38:43 PM
Why do you need so many Trade ships? Are you trying to offload massive amounts of goods or trying to buy something specific? How many do you think you would need / how often?

I am wanting to keep a bit of realism / balance.

I will look into contacting caravans, I would assume that they are working in a similar way but have not looked into that yet, but it is probably a good idea to allow it to be called.

It is a mixture of selling and often trying to get the right trade ship. Due to the poor way trading is handled in the base game, you often can't even sell enough goods to one guy because they randomly have low money. You often can't even buy something from a trader because they have low amounts of only 5 things. So having the ability to call them more often to get what you need, or sell what you have is a necessity for large bases.

Your mod is used with other mods which change a lot how the base game is. The base game doesn't really allow large bases for instance, and in that case your mod is probably fairly well balanced. However I don't see the harm in allowing research which is up to the user to select if they want or not, to make it work for large bases too.

hector212121

Maybe we could have Plant24h next? Let's be frank, that is, like, the only mod that makes the way sunlamps work acceptable. Either they need to function 24/7 or they need to shut off automatically once plants start 'resting'.

Also, trade caravans actually kinda make MORE sense to be able to call. Heck, you shouldn't even need a special structure for it, just the same old thing you use to talk to all the facs.