New Raid Type

Started by Silvador, April 16, 2016, 06:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvador

For all I know, this may already be in the game, but if it's not, here is my idea:

A two part raid that is directly affected by the player's interaction.

First part -
A small scouting party (1-2, lightly armed/armoured pawns [determined by the usual method]) arrive from a hostile town/tribe/band/whatever and prowl around the outskirts of your settlement (pawns approach player built structures but not beyond a certain distance [map size specific, possibly?] and loiter for a day or two). This scouting party do not initiate hostile actions but will either retaliate or retreat is attacked normally. How the player responds to this initial event affects how the second part plays out.

Second part -
1. If the player ignores the scout and permits them to leave peacefully, the hostile neighbour may decide you're either not worth attacking or too dangerous to risk attacking, and no further interaction will be had (for this event), OR the hostile neighbour, armed with the intelligence gathered by their scout, will launch a strong and dangerous (but not overwhelming) attack after a few days. (chances 50/50)

2. If the player attacks and kills the scout, the hostile neighbour will "most certainly" send out a search party after a few days (high chance yes, low chance no. maybe 80/20?). But as the hostile neighbours do not have any intel on your settlement's capabilities, the search party's strength could range from very small, to very large (perhaps 20/20/20/20/20 chance, or 15/20/30/20/15? vs/s/m/l/vl)

3. If the player captures the scout and has the means to contact the hostile neighbour, with sufficient social skill the player could trade the captive scout back for IMMUNITY from that particular neighbour for a period of time (a year? maybe 2? might sound like a long time but you gotta take into consideration the chance/number of times you'll be attacked by one hostile neighbour in that time). With low social skills, there is a great chance of the hostile neighbour retaliating and coming to rescue or simply exact vengeance on your colony. Party size determined in accordance with the laws of Outcome 2. If the scout manages to escape capture and return to their home, the hostile neighbour will act in accordance with the laws of Outcome 1, but possibly with a slightly higher chance of attacking (maybe from being angered by the capture of their scout 60/40?). And if the scout dies during an attempted escape, the hostile neighbour will act in accordance to the laws of Outcome 2.

Aarkreinsil

Reminds me a little of the Mants in Gnomoria.

Maybe also make it so the followup attack would always be of a siege or sapper variety, since they know about your defenses after spying out the base.

I mean what point is there in sending spies if their followup attack ends them up in your killbox anyway.

Silvador

Quote from: Aarkreinsil on April 16, 2016, 07:05:29 AM
Reminds me a little of the Mants in Gnomoria.

Maybe also make it so the followup attack would always be of a siege or sapper variety, since they know about your defenses after spying out the base.

I mean what point is there in sending spies if their followup attack ends them up in your killbox anyway.

Yes, agreed.