Balance frag grenades, burning concrete (walls)

Started by Merry76, November 19, 2013, 05:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galileus

I'm not sure I played anything with major fires in newer builds... so yeah, disregard all that ;) If that was settled then there is no problem.

Arcaist

Just got my whole colony wiped from 3 guys throwing frag grenades like hell.
Their damage is too high at the moment, I agree on that.

Vastin

Grenade damage is indeed extremely high right now. Not a huge deal as you can usually avoid them pretty easily if you're quick to pause and move your guys during fights - but they behave more like placed HE anti-tank charges than frag weapons - delivering a concentrated blast devastating everything in a tight radius, structures and people alike.

Not that I have any problem with that sort of weapon in the game - but I'd make a different kind of grenade with a wider radius and more variable damage to represent a classical frag grenade.

Is there any concept of armor, hardness, or damage type in the game currently? I'm guessing no? It'll obviously be difficult to create weapons that treat hardened and soft targets differently until then, so I wouldn't worry too much about how the grenades behave at the moment.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Vastin on February 02, 2014, 11:46:21 AM
Grenade damage is indeed extremely high right now. Not a huge deal as you can usually avoid them pretty easily if you're quick to pause and move your guys during fights - but they behave more like placed HE anti-tank charges than frag weapons - delivering a concentrated blast devastating everything in a tight radius, structures and people alike.

Not that I have any problem with that sort of weapon in the game - but I'd make a different kind of grenade with a wider radius and more variable damage to represent a classical frag grenade.

Is there any concept of armor, hardness, or damage type in the game currently? I'm guessing no? It'll obviously be difficult to create weapons that treat hardened and soft targets differently until then, so I wouldn't worry too much about how the grenades behave at the moment.
Armor is planned.
And yea grenades are powerful, but mines are also ridiculously powerful. So it balances out.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Tommygunner70

I agree too, frags are way over powered.

That and I feel that the game doesn't realistically handle materials. I cant torch a cliff face with a Molotov but I sure can torch a none-flammable material like concrete. same thing with the metal doors.

OK I understand that given enough heat the metal door will melt, but that would be way more heat then any one Molotov can produce.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Tommygunner70 on February 02, 2014, 10:18:51 PM
I agree too, frags are way over powered.

That and I feel that the game doesn't realistically handle materials. I cant torch a cliff face with a Molotov but I sure can torch a none-flammable material like concrete. same thing with the metal doors.

OK I understand that given enough heat the metal door will melt, but that would be way more heat then any one Molotov can produce.
mines are extremely op as_well and once you have them the game I s too easy.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK