Drug system?

Started by British, September 27, 2013, 04:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Untrustedlife

Quote from: applemachine on October 05, 2013, 06:57:20 PM
Quote from: Tynan on September 27, 2013, 05:14:03 PM
The effects won't be temporary. It's not a boost like in Fallout.

I'm thinking the more important aspects would be:

-Growing the drugs
-Refining the drugs
-Dealing with the ups and downs of having colonists addicted to the drugs. This includes:
---- They're "happier"
---- They have long-term health problems
---- They may exhibit unstable behaviors
---- They fight differently; don't get incapacitated, perhaps

It's not a button you push for a short-term boost, it's a part of the sociology and economy of the colony.

I really like this answer. You seem to make this the policy in several answers you've made. It seems there is an overarching policy to keep this game interesting as a simulation rather than as a DF style RTS. I like this idea very much. This is what will keep me engaged for hours. Making a change to the society, such as introducing a drug, just to see the effect and then removing it to see if they can return to 'normal'. Plus I really like the idea of drugs in games, but have yet to find anything that I like. This seems like a fun idea to me.

I have not yet backed the kickstarter but if this is the style of thinking behind the programing of the game, I'm very interested. I'm going to keep on eye on this for a bit to see what happens.
Dude, dwarf fortress is litterally a world SIMULATION. with almost everything you can think of.
Rimworld will become a DF style simulation.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Trensicourt

Painkillers, Adrenaline Shots, Stimulant Pack(Stronger version), Caffeine(grown in on the planet), The "Happy" Drug, The "Torture" Drug, Relax Packs, Slow Mo(Stronger version) inhalants. AND WE CAN GO ON AND ON. But these are the ones I feel like fit most, because they have a role.
WHAT IS RIM WORLD? A RAIDER DEATH BALL. LITERALLY.

Tynan

Quote from: Untrustedlife on January 29, 2014, 02:01:39 PM
Dude, dwarf fortress is litterally a world SIMULATION. with almost everything you can think of.

I think that's what he was getting at. That RimWorld leans into simulation with bits of RTS, instead of being and RTS with simulation elements (as some might guess from the direct combat controls).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Trensicourt

P.S. If drugs are implemented, the colonists should be able to put needles/inhalants in their pockets anywhere. So if the colonist want a Stim pack, he can grab it during combat. But! It will cost the user 10 of units life and accuracy, but he can run much faster and faster reflexes in shooting/melee.
WHAT IS RIM WORLD? A RAIDER DEATH BALL. LITERALLY.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Tynan on January 29, 2014, 05:19:07 PM
Quote from: Untrustedlife on January 29, 2014, 02:01:39 PM

I think that's what he was getting at. That RimWorld leans into simulation with bits of RTS, instead of being and RTS with simulation elements (as some might guess from the direct combat controls).

Oh, ok. 
That's not what I thought he was getting at...

I do hope you add drugs to the game, that would make it very interesting..maybe certain drugs could cause hilarity to happen.(in addition to  temporary buffs)
:)
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Karakoran

I like the idea do drugs offering amazing short term benefits but being painful in the long run. You could use drugs to increase the size of people to make them better fighters and manual workers, but they will start having health problems in a month and die within the year (and be unsellable as slaves). Other drugs might increase productivity less but not require the user dying, at the cost of being addictive. People get very aggressive when they don't get their drugs, and these people will be buffed up. You could also have sedative drugs to easily capture raiders. Maybe even drugs that turned people into more or less cooperative zombies, so as to instantly recruit them at the price of -1 in all skills.

Of course these drugs have down sides. They could be made from parts of certain plants that are scarce on the colony and run out quickly, thus habit forming drugs will need to be constantly restocked by trade. Also they'd require a lot of research and certain machines to produce.

Untrustedlife

People would get addicted to a drug, and would require it to go about their daily lives (eg like dwarves and alcohol)
You can try to break the habit by destroying, hiding or not ordering the drug, but people may go insane without their fix.
Of course drugs would also have buffing effects. (and not all would be addictive)
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK