Stockpile Priority Question

Started by Silvador, April 16, 2016, 10:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvador

I know that stockpiles with a higher priority will be stocked first, but will pawns prioritise taking from that stockpile as well? Or does the priority setting only apply to filling the stockpile?

Lys

I think pawns usually take whatever is nearest when they need something.

Silvador

Yeah, that's what I've always operated on. But that, unfortunately, can be problematic for some certain instances.

I'd like to be able to set up a central storage for meals, with a smaller storage attached to my dining hall, hospital and prison. If stockpile priority affects what stockpile a pawn will take from first, I'm hoping that I'll be able to have this set up so that when a pawn wants to eat, they'll go to the dining hall and get food from that stockpile, or if they need to feed patients or prisoners, they'll go to the respective stockpiles and take from there, as opposed to running back and forth, long distances, from a large, singular stockpile.

But I don't know if a stockpile's priority will affect a pawn's decision on where to take from, thus I'm asking here for some clarification.

Limdood

you can always plop a table and 2 benches in the central storage too...that way pawns that DO grab from there will still sit and eat...the impressiveness should be decent too because of the wealth of the room

Silvador

Yeah, I'm not real big on the idea of setting up a dining room in the middle of my massive walk in freezer. :/

Rahjital

Pawns also prioritise carrying items from lower priority stockpiles to higher priority stockpiles. You would have pawns carrying a meal from the lower-priority stockpile to the higher-priority one every time a meal is eaten.

Silvador

Quote from: Rahjital on April 17, 2016, 03:46:02 AM
Pawns also prioritise carrying items from lower priority stockpiles to higher priority stockpiles. You would have pawns carrying a meal from the lower-priority stockpile to the higher-priority one every time a meal is eaten.

This I'm aware of and have made use of quite frequently for several other stockpiles. Once I've gained numerous colonists I always dedicate at least a couple of colonists to hauling and remove that task from everyone else.

TitaniumTurtle

I generally maintain all of my food in a single large freezer that is attached to a kitchen/dining hall/entertainment center (I set it up like a bar & grill). Then I pretty much build my entire base around that. I do however use the priority system to set up some makeshift defenses in the early stages. I generally look for where I want the edge of my base to be and then make my dumping stockpile a line of chunks and slag to slow down incoming attackers. It also works well later on if I fill up the edge of my turrets range with chunks so that attackers take longer to get close and longer to retreat. I place priority on my own firing line, and then fill up the obstacle area gradually. I then make my stockpile for stone block supplies one priority level lower so that it is still be regularly filled, but my workers arent stealing from the defenses.

RazorHed

I think what would fix this is in each bill add a stockpile destination option

Silvador

Quote from: RazorHed on April 17, 2016, 07:03:27 PM
I think what would fix this is in each bill add a stockpile destination option

That won't help tell pawns what stockpile to take from, though. It's not storing that I'm asking about, it's taking.

RazorHed

oooh i see   , then maybe also an extra priority for stockpiles low normal important critical and prison use only :)   Definitely need a way to get prisoners to eat nutrient paste

edit
or maybe an option on things like work benches and prisoner beds to link to specific stockpiles for input output

Silvador

Quote from: RazorHed on April 18, 2016, 01:14:15 AM
or maybe an option on things like work benches and prisoner beds to link to specific stockpiles for input output

This would be good. Gnomoria has a system where stockpiles can be set up to take from specific stockpiles. I don't remember if work benches can as well. But, yeah, being able to designate a stockpile for a specific purpose would be good. Prison Stockpile: goods in this stockpile are used only on/for prisoners. Hospital Stockpile: Goods  in this stockpile are used only on people in medical beds, etc, etc.

TitaniumTurtle

Quote from: Silvador on April 18, 2016, 01:19:33 AM
This would be good. Gnomoria has a system where stockpiles can be set up to take from specific stockpiles. I don't remember if work benches can as well. But, yeah, being able to designate a stockpile for a specific purpose would be good. Prison Stockpile: goods in this stockpile are used only on/for prisoners. Hospital Stockpile: Goods  in this stockpile are used only on people in medical beds, etc, etc.

You can sort of do this at the moment. What I do is always build my stockpiles for crafting supplies right next to my crafting room, then I go into the bill details and set the resource radius to be small enough so that only the stockpile I want to use is inside. However, if you build your other stockpiles inside the radius as well then this does absolutely nothing.