[1.0] More Trade Ships - Cheaper Components

Started by blerkz, April 17, 2016, 05:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blerkz

More Trade Ships

Description:
Significantly increases the rate at which orbital traders appear. Useful if you want a more trade-focused game or simply find the default rate too low. Also helps with mods that add new types of traders so you don't have to wait years for the right type of trader to arrive.

Background
In Alpha 13, the rate at which orbital trade ships appear was sharply reduced. This mod increases the rate back to about where it was in Alpha 12. No other changes are made.
In Alpha 14, the rate was increased somewhat and now the storyteller has influence over this aspect of the game as well. The A14 version of the mod can be used to increases the rate if you still find it too low.
For A15 and A16 it is mostly build number updates.
In B19, Rimworld's base storytellers changed in the way they control trade ships, which meant the mod had to be rewritten. As a result, the mod will not give you the exact same rate between B18 and B19 and higher. Please give feedback here or on Steam if you think the new rate is too high or too low.

Author
Feel free to use it in any modpacks, I would appreciate being credited though.

Download
Steam workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725465444
Or from Nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/rimworld/mods/116/?

Old version
Older versions are available on Nexusmods.

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld\Mods\ folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.
- Starting a new game is not required.

Compatibility
-(A16 and below) will conflict with other mods that affect storyteller.xml.
-(A17 and up) Will not give problems with, but will not work with custom storytellers because the storyteller has control over the trade ship rate, this mod only changes the three default storytellers. Uses xpatch from A17 onwards.
Can be added or removed to a running game with no problems.

Cheaper Components

Description:
Reduces the amount of work needed to assemble components by 40%, for both normal and advanced components.
This mod always reduced the amount of steel needed to 10, however the cost in the base version of the game has reduced significantly (from 25 to 12) so it is not a major change to the game anymore in that aspect. The main advantage of this mod is now that it makes the job take much less time.
No other changes have been made, you will still need to research and build the component assembler as normal.

Background
I felt the component assembler was very unrewarding in the default game; for the amount of investment in research, materials and crafting skill I felt 25 steel was far too much. With amount of steel needed reduced to 10, the value of a component to a trader is more in line with the cost of materials. It will also reduce the need for steel, which can be sparse on some maps. Lastly, it makes the job takes less time for no reason other than that I felt it took too long.

Old version
Older versions are available on Nexusmods.

Author
This is the first Rimworld mod I've made, I hope you like it. Feel free to use it in any modpacks, I would appreciate being credited though.

Download
Available in the Steam workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725488168
Or at: http://www.nexusmods.com/rimworld/mods/115/?

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld\Mods\ folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.
- Starting a new game is not required.

Compatibility
-This mod changes component assembly recipe and nothing else. It should work fine with other mods as long as they do not also change the same recipe. Uses patching method as of A17.

LustrousWolf

I think this makes the game too easy now to be honest.. maybe make the components 20 steel and maybe make the components more expensive when being sold by traders? (from $15 to like $30?) Only my opinion sorry >-<

macbuk

I feel the cost is pretty fair, but the length of the process of making components... it takes so damn long. Can you make a version with the old price but the process severely shortened?

LustrousWolf

Quote from: macbuk on April 17, 2016, 08:42:29 AM
I feel the cost is pretty fair, but the length of the process of making components... it takes so damn long. Can you make a version with the old price but the process severely shortened?

That is also very true, would also love to see a mod like this :)

blerkz

I'd rather not mess with the trade price because this will make them more expensive to buy, too. In my experience, on plains maps the components are quite the money drain already.

I can do a version where the fabrication costs 20 steel and is faster to complete, does that work for both of you?

LustrousWolf

Quote from: blerkz on April 17, 2016, 02:01:17 PM
I'd rather not mess with the trade price because this will make them more expensive to buy, too. In my experience, on plains maps the components are quite the money drain already.

I can do a version where the fabrication costs 20 steel and is faster to complete, does that work for both of you?

If you think it is more balanced, sure :)

Btw. Steel is normally $1.50. So if a component is 30 steel to make, that is 30 * 1.5 = $45. Components usually cost around $15. Which is a third of what it costs for the materials to produce it. And it also takes like 3 hours of in-game time to produce 1 component so.. So technically components are really cheap the moment. Just something to consider :P

gehennianviceroy

Excellent first mod. Thanks for being receptive to the community too. I'd love to use the reworked version!

Vaperius

Its honestly really simple, keep the metal cost the same but increase the OUTPUTS, or the number of components you get from each crafting operation, to 4. That is about 7 metal a component, it still costs the same immediate dedication of resources, but allows for better availability of components for truly large scale bases.
I remain Vigilant.

blerkz

I have added an alternate version, which sets production cost to 20 steel and reduces the time needed by 40%. Download link in sig (it's under optional files). Delete or overwrite the other version if you have it.

kutch

Thank you for updating!  Looking forward to using this!

jmababa

blerkz

Both mods updated to A16, can this get moved back to the regular forum? Thanks.

blerkz

Both mods updated to A17, and both use the new patching feature to improve compatibility.