Sappers AI Pathing

Started by Listen1, April 15, 2016, 09:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listen1

Something simillar has been posted before, but I had 3 Sappers at my colony, and the 3 of them, went on the same spot at my colony.

Don't know it they make a check on the home zone, to find the easiest spot to go through the walls. Could someone update me on it? For defense and balance reasons.

makapse

they check the turret range and attempt to bypass them in the shortest direct path.Also, if you double wall everything and leave a single spot with a single wall, most likely they will go there if its not on the other side of the map so you can strategically leave these gaps

erdrik

Quote from: makapse on April 15, 2016, 10:38:45 AM
they check the turret range and attempt to bypass them in the shortest direct path...

Last game I had sappers, they once tried to sap through a mountain wall like such:
| | |
| * | |<--
| | |
| * * * | |
|_______________________________| |

The <-- is their entry point.
The *'s are turrets.

There were several previous raids from the same faction that got destroyed by the kill box, so its not like they didn't know there was turrets there.
Im not sure of the details involved with deciding a sapper entry point, but it is definitely not just turret position.
(this was pre A13)

makapse

they would have mined in the mountain, met with a hollow in it and then mined under the turret room, completly bypassing the turrets

Listen1

Mine were's like this
| |
| colony |
| |
| walls\/   |
            /\ raid entrance

Secound was the same situation, and the third:

| |
| colony |
| |
| walls\/   |
            /\ raid entrance

The third was also on the same spot, The one I reinforced with 3 walls. Even though they are running the check, landing the three times in the same spot is rng or not? The room down bellow was my dorm room, and it was a crazy expensive and beuty place;

Railgun Convention

I had a colony in a mountainous region, with thin mountain to the east, passages to the south, and an open plains to the north, with sporadic turret cover on my northern wall.

Where did the sappers come?

The northern side, of course, trying to tunnel into a bedroom.

erdrik

Quote from: makapse on April 15, 2016, 01:19:12 PM
they would have mined in the mountain, met with a hollow in it and then mined under the turret room, completly bypassing the turrets

Thats not what they did tho.

This is how it turned out:
| | ______________|
| * | |_____________<--
| | |
| * * * | |

They were literally 1 tile away from breaking through, and made no signs of going down before I broke them and started to flee.

Aarkreinsil

They once started to tunnel into the side of my colony, but always just before breaking through the final wall and ending up in my courtyard, they would change course.

Once they also broke through one of my outer walls that encompassed the wind turbine array, but upon breaking through they decided it wasn't worth the effort and just went back through my maze of deadfall traps.

It's really weird.