Strawberries vanish before spoiling?

Started by Shabazza, April 17, 2016, 10:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shabazza

Today I say a weird thing happening.
I had harvested some strawberries from my fields, but my guy was busy with other stuff, so he could not haul it to thr freezer.
The berries lay there on the ground for 2 days or so, when the suddenly began to vanish.
I paused and checked their state.
It showed "Spoils in 4 days" or something near that, but the 'HP' or 'durability' bars of them were almost empty,
causing some of them to already disappear.

Is this a bug or intended?
I thought the stated time for them to spoil is the only thing that matters. Why do they have a durability bar then?
What does this bar mean for food?

Kluge

Quote from: Shabazza on April 17, 2016, 10:07:53 AM
Today I say a weird thing happening.
I had harvested some strawberries from my fields, but my guy was busy with other stuff, so he could not haul it to thr freezer.
The berries lay there on the ground for 2 days or so, when the suddenly began to vanish.
I paused and checked their state.
It showed "Spoils in 4 days" or something near that, but the 'HP' or 'durability' bars of them were almost empty,
causing some of them to already disappear.

Is this a bug or intended?
I thought the stated time for them to spoil is the only thing that matters. Why do they have a durability bar then?
What does this bar mean for food?
Both matter. Strawberries have a very fast deterioration rate, so it's significantly better to have them under a roof, even if it's not refrigerated. If you do this, then they will only vanish once they spoil (assuming they don't catch on fire or something).

Shabazza

Yeah, ok. Good to know.
But I stll don't understand what's the difference between food spoiling and deteriorating.
Why isn't this the same thing?

Kluge

Quote from: Shabazza on April 17, 2016, 10:51:45 AM
Yeah, ok. Good to know.
But I stll don't understand what's the difference between food spoiling and deteriorating.
I'm guessing this quirk exists to prevent cold biomes from being "OP" (lol). If it were cold outside, you could just let food sit out all day every day in the rain and exposed to bugs without penalty. -And it makes sense that food will spoil faster while not under a roof vs under a roof, but the way it's displayed isn't very intuitive... I can't think of how they'd display the information so it's intuitive in your scenario without it making something else look wrong.

Limdood

leave a banana outside in the rain....it'll be functionally destroyed without being "spoiled"

it exists because ALL items (except metals and stones in game) deteriorate if left outside, so you actually have to make rooms for things.  Food are items, so they also deteriorate.  items don't stop deteriorating in the cold, and food doesn't stop spoiling indoors, so they had to add an extra type of deterioration for food, so that it could be ruined even indoors

cultist

Quote from: Shabazza on April 17, 2016, 10:51:45 AM
Yeah, ok. Good to know.

Everything except steel, components, stone blocks, leather and a few other things deteriorate when left outside. Essentially, food will "deteriorate" long before it "spoils" when left outside. Spoilage is really only something you need to worry about once the harvest has been taken indoors. Except for meat and corpses, which tend to spoil faster than they can deteriorate.

RazorHed

one thing I've done when I plant several 22x22 fields of corn is surround them with walls then remove the roof. then after harvesting it all I add the roof so that delicious corn doesn't degrade, until its all in my giant freezer.   maybe you could do that for your strawberry patch if you are having troubles getting them hauled

Kluge

Quote from: RazorHed on April 17, 2016, 06:57:52 PM
one thing I've done when I plant several 22x22 fields of corn is surround them with walls then remove the roof. then after harvesting it all I add the roof so that delicious corn doesn't degrade, until its all in my giant freezer.   maybe you could do that for your strawberry patch if you are having troubles getting them hauled
Huh. I should do that with trade stockpiles. That's extremely cheesy. I like it.