Two seperate alphas of rimworld ?

Started by Mese, April 17, 2016, 01:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mese

Currently im using a fully modded alpha 12 rimworld ... but I want to try alpha 13 , maybe with just the ebd interface and prepare carefully mods

How can I have two different alphas with different mods working perfectly on my computer ?

Kluge

Quote from: Mese on April 17, 2016, 01:37:41 PM
Currently im using a fully modded alpha 12 rimworld ... but I want to try alpha 13 , maybe with just the ebd interface and prepare carefully mods

How can I have two different alphas with different mods working perfectly on my computer ?
Hmm. There's going to be a bit of manual labor involved because Rimworld doesn't append its version number to the AppData folder. (Assuming Windows as OS here)

You can either install Rimworld 12 as a different Windows user and play it as that user only (since they'd have separate AppData folders), Alpha 13 on the one you're using now, or you can go into your %AppData% folder, go up a level, then go into LocalLow... copy the Ludeon Studios folder and rename it Ludeon Studios 12 (or 13, depending on which version of Rimworld made it). You should now be able to start a new game on the other version. When you want to switch, you need to rename Ludeon Studios to the appropriate version number, and then rename Ludeon Studios 12 (or 13) back to Ludeon Studios.

Don't think there's any kind of config option to change this.... I'll double-check, though.

PotatoeTater

You can keep alpha 12 downloaded and then download alpha 13. I have my alpha 12 still and it works just fine.
Life is Strange

Kluge

Quote from: PotatoeTater on April 17, 2016, 01:58:51 PM
You can keep alpha 12 downloaded and then download alpha 13. I have my alpha 12 still and it works just fine.
The saves will mingle! Tynan added a switch for this in A11. -savedatafolder WhateverFolderNameYouWant

This'd save worlds in folder for the particular version number, preventing trying to load different-versioned saves. Though depending on OS config, game would probably need to be run in admin mode.

Acruid

The Readme.txt file that comes with rimworld tells you how to override the save path in the command line. ;)

SadisticNemesis

Its easy..just download the new one, place it in a different place on your HDD and make another shortcut with a different name like "Rimworld alpha 13"... rather basic stuff.

BlackSmokeDMax

I am doing roughly the same thing. I ended up leaving alpha 12 with the stock settings as I just couldn't get the hardcore sk2.5 modpack to work in custom folders. And then I have alpha 13 setup to use a custom folder in a directory immediately next to the game folder within the directory hierarchy.

I also have alpha 13 setup in a cloud sync so I can play it on multiple computers. Sadly with alpha 12 being in the stock location I am just using a quick manual copy of the save folder copied into a separate cloud synced folder instead of the easier to use fully cloud synced method.

Short  story, you have quite a few options to setup multiple alphas in multiple ways at the same time.

Tynan

Install them alongside each other anywhere you want.

In-game, you'll see saves/worlds from the other version, but they'll be marked so it'll be fine. Just don't load a savegame with a red number on it; it's from the wrong version.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog