Wind turbine - Nothing in the way but they still stink.

Started by oronnoro2, April 17, 2016, 04:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oronnoro2

So, I've got myself about 4 solar panels and 2 wind turbine. The 2 wind turbine hardly work. I have the WT build where there is no obstacle or trees in its way (I built a wooden flood under them).

I understand how WTs work, however, I hardly get maybe 5% of the WT power most of the day, along with how many eclipse the game throws at me, well, lets just say I'm not surviving winter.

Is it posible to get 30-50% of its power is I place it somewhere else maybe?

http://postimg.org/image/54d23m6gp/ - This is the TW location.

http://postimg.org/image/44vm8qjp7/ - This is the general area I have the TW in.

I appreciate any help or clarity if this is normal in Rimworld.

Thank you,
Oron

EDIT:
Just realized this is in the wrong forums, can a mod please move it to the appropriate forums, thank you.

skullywag

Wind is simply random and nothing looks like its in the way, start a storm in dev mode and see if the power output goes up maybe?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

oronnoro2

The output does go up, sometimes to 100% and that's so absurdly random that the 5% most of the day is just common. They are unbelievably useless, which is quite sad to say right now.

RemingtonRyder

Wind turbines need to be used in conjunction with banks of batteries. When there's a lot of wind, you will charge the batteries up, and when a particular bank is full you can disconnect it using a power switch to save it as backup power.

The more turbines you have, the more power you will generate when there are strong winds.

But basically you will need some fueled generators to pick up the slack when things are bad.

oronnoro2

Thanks for the reply fellas, Ill have to build the generators then and go from there.

Thank you,
Oron

Boston

This is the exact reason why wind power is largely unfeasible in real life.

Hey. shit happens

Kluge

The big draw of wind turbines is that you don't lose 50% power to battery inefficiency since they run at night when your batteries aren't + they aren't affected by eclipses. The turrets are still useful in brownouts, too... they flip on and off, usually able to get enough shots off to deal with the threat without needing to call in the meatbags for trivial to average threats.