How to use turrets

Started by Shurp, April 17, 2016, 08:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

So here's a picture of some centipedes being clueless and slowly getting destroyed.  The centipedes are in the upper right (you'll need to scroll to see them).  In the middle is a turret which they're shooting at.  Poor turret can't shoot back because it's out of range.  But that's ok, because neither the charge blaster nor the minigun the centipedes have can hit it (they spray ammo all over the place instead).

In the lower left my colonists are plinking the centipedes to death with survival rifles.  My only fear is that the two with gutworms might starve before the battle is over.

Turrets make awesome decoys.

[edit] My colonists won the battle.  The centipedes never got a single hit on the turret.  They did, however, blow up one of the boomalopes that thought the crossfire was a good place to sleep.  Good thing it was raining or the turret would have burnt down :)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Silvador

HAHAHA! This is awesome. XD

Rahjital

Charge blasters and miniguns are bugged and hit everything except the thing they are aiming at. A single turret can often take on multiple centipedes before it's destroyed. Now if the mechs had inferno cannons, your turret would have been gone pretty quickly.

Shurp

The third centipede lying dead did have an inferno cannon, and did blow up one of the other turrets.  But it took a while to burn down, long enough for my colonists to take him down.

Scythers are much more dangerous, especially because of their range.  I have to be careful that my walls are set up to force them into the perimeter where turrets and colonists can shoot back.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

skullywag

Quote from: Rahjital on April 18, 2016, 04:06:51 AM
Charge blasters and miniguns are bugged and hit everything except the thing they are aiming at. A single turret can often take on multiple centipedes before it's destroyed. Now if the mechs had inferno cannons, your turret would have been gone pretty quickly.

not bugged, just have a forced miss radius, if you cluster they can wreck you.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

cultist

Quote from: skullywag on April 18, 2016, 07:27:37 AM

Agreed - try pitting trigger-happy colonists with miniguns or LMGs against tribal raids - it's a massacre. Against targets in cover, not so great. But against groups out in the open? Probably the strongest weapons in the game.

Rahjital

Quote from: skullywag on April 18, 2016, 07:27:37 AM

No, they are bugged. Look at what happens when you shoot a minigun into the middle of a 7x7 grid of animal boxes:

See how all the boxes are destroyed but the one in the middle is barely even damaged? That's the box my colonist was aiming for. Forced miss radius makes the weapons almost always miss the spot they are actually aiming at, which is why turrets are practically invincible to miniguns and charge blasters. The reason minigun is still effective against pawns is because you can still get hit by bullets that miss if you stand in the way.

(By the way, the LMG doesn't have forced miss radius, and can be frighteningly accurate when legendary).