Best use of devilstrand?

Started by sadpickle, April 18, 2016, 02:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sadpickle

I'm thinking dusters. I had someone make a 2.5k Masterwork boomalope duster, so I think I can crack 3k with devilstrand. What is the most cost-effective clothing use for devilstrand?

Limdood

best USE of devilstrand is making shirts and pants for your colonists to wear.  If temperature is a problem, use alpaca wool or muffalo wool cowboy/duster or tuque/jacket to fend off the elements.  If temperature isn't an issue, make devilstrand dusters/jackets and tuques as well.

Devilstrand has a very good sharp resistance (rhinohide is also good for this) - to the point that a colonist kitted out with high quality devilstrand/rhinohide clothes actually has the equivalent of an armor vest all over.  As you get people kitted out with armor vests or power armor on top of devilstrand clothes, you'll have a huge resistance to damage.

As far as figuring out the most cost effective, you can do that at home with the game and a calculator.

1) open the game, make a tailoring bench, queue up one of everything, check details and write down how much material each takes (like cowboy hats only take 25 materials)

2) dev mode spawn clothes over and over (or use EDB and make a 20 crafter with 2 bionic arms, industrious and very neurotic and dev mode cloth, making items over and over) until you have a same-quality, same material item of each type.

3) check the market price, or dev mode call a trader and check the prices.  Divide each overall amount by the number of materials it takes...the result is the overall cost effectiveness per unit of material.

Mathenaut

Yeah, best thing for devilstrand is building high-quality shirts/pants for colonists. If temperature allows, jackets/dusters as well. This is actually pretty critical for small colonies in late game, as it narrows the primary threat to melee chargers.

If you stack actual armor and a good shield, you'll create an amazing melee fighter to boot.

Devilstrand doesn't have a wide window for efficiency because of how long it takes to grow and it's extremely limited use (once you have your colonists outfitted, it's not worth the effort to keep harvesting). Just set up a (very) large field of it somewhere before the end of spring. The earlier the better, as temps begin to thwart growing ranges near the final few days of Fall.

Don't bother planting outside after spring, the plants will die in winter temps. If you can set up an indoor structure somewhere (like have a pair of sunlamps and a heater enclosed around a geothermal), it will give you a consistent, sizeable harvest every year.

Pants and button-down shirts will provide the broadest protection. The difference between cowboy hat and tuque is a matter of temperature. Dusters > Jackets every time. More work, but more versatile.

sadpickle

Ah, I didn't know Devlistrand had such enormous armor benefits. I'll start making those immediately. Almost half my colonists are melee fighters. Thanks!

EDIT: Looking at the values of some leathers I have, I see Boomalope leather has a slightly higher blunt protection and almost as high sharp defense. I'm guessing this makes it another viable leather for defensive clothing? Thnx again.

Astasia

I personally don't feel like it's worth crafting anything with cloth unless you have a shortage of something you need, like parkas in a really cold biome, or dusters in a really hot one. You get enough decent clothes from raiders, and the difference between a decent shirt and a perfect shirt is negligible.

To make money? Eh. I can barely get rid of the junk I have to sell as is.

Limdood

Quote from: sadpickle on April 18, 2016, 03:42:49 PM
Ah, I didn't know Devlistrand had such enormous armor benefits. I'll start making those immediately. Almost half my colonists are melee fighters. Thanks!

EDIT: Looking at the values of some leathers I have, I see Boomalope leather has a slightly higher blunt protection and almost as high sharp defense. I'm guessing this makes it another viable leather for defensive clothing? Thnx again.

Devilstrand has a flat 5% bonus that makes it tend to beat everything except VERY high quality rhinohide or similar

Mathenaut

Technically Hyperweave is the most powerful, but that stuff is so rare that I haven't seen or heard of the game where someone actually did much with it.

Ironvos

'Poor' mans armor basically. 
Especially nowadays with every armor or helmet costing components, devilstrand apparel doesn't require that so you can also make it early game or on barren flat maps.

Aarkreinsil

Now I can't actually remember how it was calculated in the game, but didn't jackets get an ADDITIONAL armor boost in comparison to dusters?

cultist

It also gives a high resistance to fire, at least it used to. I haven't grown any in A13.

Rahjital

Devilstrand is great if you want to bother with armour. High quality armour protects so well it gets degraded to being nigh-useless after stopping only a couple of shots. Realistic, but your colonists might suddenly find themselves unprotected in the middle of a firefight.

Also, be <i>very</i> careful about grenades and inferno cannons if your pawns any have valuable armour and weapons, explosions can damage any equipment your pawns hold, including weapons.

sadpickle

Quote from: Rahjital on April 19, 2016, 09:05:14 AM
Devilstrand is great if you want to bother with armour. High quality armour protects so well it gets degraded to being nigh-useless after stopping only a couple of shots. Realistic, but your colonists might suddenly find themselves unprotected in the middle of a firefight.
Really? I just made an excellent Thrumbofur duster, it's got a market value of 10k. Excellent protection but if it's going to be wrecked in one fight I'll just sell it.

Limdood

until it is implemented for vanilla, i'm going to keep downloading the mending mod each update.

b0rsuk

Quote from: cultist on April 19, 2016, 07:41:53 AM
It also gives a high resistance to fire, at least it used to. I haven't grown any in A13.

Last time I checked devilstrand was just... flammable. It's a good resource, particularly for skilled crafters. Grows too slowly to bother with selling it. Fire is actually one of downsides. On the other hand, it's low tech, all you need is skill and a basic bench, no components.

Why is devilstrand carpet not a thing ? Wouldn't be especially pretty, just very, very valuable.

Mathenaut

Devilstrand is flammable like all plants are, I guess. The clothing actually has protection vs heat.