Exterminating trade caravans

Started by Shurp, April 17, 2016, 04:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChimpX

Basic prosthetics should be craft able through research,  and you should be able to disassemble clothing for a partial textile return (based on % condition maybe).

cultist

Quote from: ChimpX on April 19, 2016, 09:17:19 AM
Basic prosthetics should be craft able through research,  and you should be able to disassemble clothing for a partial textile return (based on % condition maybe).
I like this. The clothing clutter is something that's bothered me for a long time now. I get that there are issues with storing more than one item in a square, but it would be nice if you could do something with clothes apart from burn or sell them (if a trader ever shows up).
Alternatively, more traders could buy clothes but only if it's over x% health. That way you know what to burn and what to savé, and you avoid the massive clothing clutter.

Astasia

Disassembling clothes doesn't help much with clutter. There are mods that add it, and all it really does is turn your large storage rooms of useless clothes into large storage rooms of 50 different kinds of useless leather and fur. It just changes the type of trade ship you are waiting for to get rid of it all.

cultist

Quote from: Astasia on April 19, 2016, 02:28:08 PM
Disassembling clothes doesn't help much with clutter. There are mods that add it, and all it really does is turn your large storage rooms of useless clothes into large storage rooms of 50 different kinds of useless leather and fur. It just changes the type of trade ship you are waiting for to get rid of it all.

True. Maybe the best thing would be to add an option to "strip for armor". Would also be nice for when you want to take a prisoner's armor/helmet/shield from them, but don't want them to freeze to death because they're naked.

Nictis

Can anyone confirm this "Good Event Pool" thing? I would happily slaughter the wildlife for a single percent higher chance of trade ships coming in.

I mean, it makes sense that we aren't getting trade ships every other day since we are supposed to be a Rimworld, but getting maybe one in a year is brutal, especially if they end up being a slave trader with only three items to sell.

Shurp

Great, you've made me go and read XML again.  Next I'll be editing it.  Noooooooo!!!!!

In file:
C:\Rimworld\RimWorld1135Win\Mods\Core\Defs\IncidentDefs\Incidents_Good_Misc.xml

We have:
   <IncidentDef>
       <defName>OrbitalTraderArrival</defName>
       <workerClass>IncidentWorker_OrbitalTraderArrival</workerClass>
       <baseChance>3</baseChance>
   </IncidentDef>

But... something odd is going on here.  Because ResourcePodCrash only has a chance of 6, yet we get plenty of drops.  And even RefugeePodCrash at 1.5 seems more frequent than orbital trade ship visits.  So is something reducing the base chance?  Perhaps the value of your colony? ("You have enough stuff, I'm not giving you more!")
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Aarkreinsil

Quote from: Shurp on April 20, 2016, 07:09:05 AM

But... something odd is going on here.  Because ResourcePodCrash only has a chance of 6, yet we get plenty of drops.  And even RefugeePodCrash at 1.5 seems more frequent than orbital trade ship visits.  So is something reducing the base chance? 

Did you check for a "Minimum time between Event" thing there? I know that solar flares for example have a supposed cooldown of roughly one season. Maybe there's such a cooldown on the trade ship event, too.

Shurp

Maybe.  But I can't be bothered to dig deeper because I've given up on trade just like on animals.  Neither is necessary.  Just play on a map with enough compacted components to get your colony to tomb-tackling strength.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

ReZpawner

The refugee pod crash thingy isn't governed purely by that one file. It's also affected by the story-teller, and how many people you have in your colony. If you have a small colony, you'll get a LOT of those.

Shurp

Yeah, but still, we get way more than twice as many resource pod drops as we get visiting trade ships.

Headshotkill

I think it's a good thing orbital traders seem more rare this alpha, lore wise I think it's weird that there were this many trade ships flying around near the rim. It should stay rare to get acces to glitterworld stuff and instead make "native" resources and goods from planet inhabitants better/more usefull.