Is something wrong with shooting?

Started by nuschler22, April 18, 2016, 03:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boston

Quote from: MajorFordson on April 18, 2016, 09:54:44 PM
Would be VERY interesting to see a mod or experimental "realism" mode, where bullet wounds are almost always fatal, shooting has realistic accuracy and firing patterns etc It might not work at all, or it might make for a very hard and exciting game where every combat is life and death, not simply a few injuries.

Combat Realism is what you are looking for, and the mod version for A13 is being worked on right now.

mumblemumble

I would like shotguns to be redone if possible,  shotguns just feel like a weaker,  lower range rifle. Also wish guns were a bit deeper OUTSIDE of the under the hood math for it, allowing different tactics of shooting,  like on the move, rapid fire,  slower more accurate shooting (think voluntarily choosing to turn on careful shooter / trigger happy on a whim)  and other things, even shooting while in melee, but with less chance to hit,  more chance to not fire... Guns are neat ,  but the fact usefulness is limited by skill so much bothers me. I think skill should be more than just "accuracy"  for shots,  and perhaps eventually allowing more fancy shots,  like purposeful grazing hits, lethal hits,  ect. Though,  this would need a fallout style "select attack style",  thing to shine,  but still.

Though yes,  on topic,  some of the math seems off,  rain in the night makes it hard to hit deer out in the open from no real range. I think perhaps some of these (dark,  range even shooting accuracy frfr skill) should be multiplied by how many tiles away,  depending on the weapon. So close up skill is almost meaningless (automatics,  heavy rifles,  bows i can understand this not applying to)  while more and more range makes skill more and more important. Generally,  point blank,  0 skill is needed to kill something (or at least hit it)  up close, assuming its not tiny.

Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Panzer

How about the hunter performs the slaughter action, like handlers do with colony animals, just move in after it is downed and cut the head off? No more spraying from one tile away :P

makapse

i have noticed that the shooting accuracy is mainly affected by the 'shooter' reason while i hover to see the hit %. And i have seen a colonist have 20% shooter trait and 13% overall to hit chance with a good sniper rifle at lvl11 when his mood was about 40% but his mental soft break was 16 and hard at 1% while after shooting for some time, his shooter went down to 3% and overall at 2% when his mood went to 20 and he was nearing all the negative warning lvls of needs .  think the problem is the needs affecting the accuracy when they are not full and e can never have all the needs at full so there needs to be a point,around 50% of needs when we start tanking the accuracy

stefanstr

In two months time: A14 Realistic Combat has been released. The forum is filled with enraged posts due to the high mortality of colonists.

cultist

I think a feature like slaughtering animals should be added to incapped creatures (humans as well) to finish them off. It always feels weird to me that the only way to kill an incapped creature is to shoot or stab it over and over, hitting random bits. If it's incapped, just let the colonist go there and cut off the head like they do with livestock. End of problem.

nuschler22

Quote from: Boston on April 18, 2016, 10:11:35 PM
Quote from: MajorFordson on April 18, 2016, 09:54:44 PM
Would be VERY interesting to see a mod or experimental "realism" mode, where bullet wounds are almost always fatal, shooting has realistic accuracy and firing patterns etc It might not work at all, or it might make for a very hard and exciting game where every combat is life and death, not simply a few injuries.

I usually use this with Rimfire which provides a good play. 

Combat Realism is what you are looking for, and the mod version for A13 is being worked on right now.

mumblemumble

Incapped doesn't mean holding still though, hunters in reality make sure a kill is 100% dead before getting close,, because otherwise a boar or buck could still gore you flailing in pain (which incapped creatures do in this,  flailing i mean). I think instead,  a massive accuracy bonus on downed pawns would work.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

b0rsuk

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 19, 2016, 04:09:06 PM
Incapped doesn't mean holding still though, hunters in reality make sure a kill is 100% dead before getting close,, because otherwise a boar or buck could still gore you flailing in pain (which incapped creatures do in this,  flailing i mean). I think instead,  a massive accuracy bonus on downed pawns would work.
But if you manually order a colonist to attack a downed animal in melee, it's completely safe. Immersion breaking, yes, but no downside to this micromanagement from mechanic point of view. I think it should be either one or the other. Either incapped animals are somewhat dangerous and you can't order them manually, or they aren't and colonists finish downed animals in melee.

Also, I would like a setting to exterminate animals. Like hunting, but without hauling the corpse. Currently only alphabeavers need this, but when they DO show up it's really annoying.

Mathenaut

This is pretty X-Com levels of ridiculous.

mumblemumble

To be fair,  trigger happy is a shitty trait unless used with a minigun on hoards.  (then misses are often still hits).  It doesn't matter how often you shoot,  if you don't hit anything,  what is the point? That 50 % reduction makes most people with it worthless shots,  even at high levels,  as you see.

The 50% less accuracy is simply not worth the fire rate most of the time,  unless using grenades. Honestly i wish it was like careful shooter,  where the con was half of the pro...

-----

christhekiller

I think we've finally figured out the back story for Rimworld.

Everyone on the planet is a surviving stormtrooper from the fall of the Galactic Empire

Mathenaut

Without trigger happy, would that make the shot 6% or 53%?

mumblemumble

I'm honestly not sure exactly how it works... Guns have base accuracy,  tiles out having accuracy drop off for most guns,  ect... But i don't know the exact math.  I guess one cool dev mode the trait on / off to figure it out,  but its obviously enough that the trait is pretty much equivalent to incapable of shooting.

Seriously,  can't stand fast shooter,  if it was 25 % more fire speed,  but only 25% less accurate,  i could deal with it,  but 50 is just so not worth it.

-----

Mathenaut

It depends on whether the 50% is actually 1/2 of the end value, or something more crippling.