Threat responses for wild animals

Started by whoishigh, April 19, 2016, 04:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoishigh

TL;DR: I like the new threat response mechanic and I'd like to see it applied to animals. Docile creatures should flee, aggressive creatures should attack.

The current system isn't too great. Deer and wargs alike stand idle while a hunter shoots limbs off. There's a very small chance they'll be maddened and attack, sure, but in practice this only seems to happen with large herds - my current 3 year old colony has faced almost as many mad deer gangs as actual raids and manhunter packs. Not particularly fun in my opinion, but it does make filling the freezer a bit easier.

So I'd like to see to this change. Give otherwise docile animals (deer, etc) the "Flee" threat response. It'd be cool if the entire herd fled in response to an attack on an individual, especially if they fled as a group. Maybe the victim and a few others (pretend they're parents of the victim) could be maddened, but it should be very rare with these types of animals.

Aggressive animals (bears, etc) are a little more straight forward - they should almost always attack when harmed. I say "almost" always because I think it would be neat if maddened animals had a chance of breaking and fleeing when enough damage is done to them.

So, comments? Thoughts? Hatemail?

dragoduval

+1 on both. Would make hunting more dynamic, having a hunter run after a deer, and seeing its herd leaving this wounded one behind to save themself. Would be nice if they would do the same when faced to predators.

Would also make "sneaking" more usefull.
Im making my own mod !!!! Also im pretty sure that i started World Wars 3.....

Also if i spawn too many subject then dont mind me, i'm just bored at school :D. Damn 3 hours long video's....