A13 - Ice sheet bugs discovered

Started by porcupine, April 13, 2016, 07:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine

I found a few ... presumably unintended features on my current play-thru:

#1 - Colonist incapable of scary wielding gun (forced), during combat/draft yields the message "searching for targets".  If he's incapable of scary, clearly he's not searching for targets (I had to pause and dig around to figure out why he couldn't see the bugs right in front of him).

#2 - Traders freeze to death outside your front door, instead of coming in to safe temperature.  Faction rep does not appear to drop (thankfully)

#3 - Corpses appear to rot, in -30 weather?!  After loading a save, a 2 day dead polar bear is clearly rotting, despite the outdoor temp being -30.  This might have been during a toxic rain event, not sure if that matters? (but if so, "rotting" might not be the best description?)

#4 - If a nest spawns, and the jelly appears in a door way, the door stays closed.  When the door is sprung open, it can no longer be closed (without removing the jelly).  The insects inside however do not react/walk through/etc., making a shooting gallery until a wall segment breaks/etc.

#5 - If you down the insects, and then add an operation to Euthanize them, you receive an error indicating no pet bed, so you can't kill 'em.

#6 - If you add a pet bed (for #5 above), and tell your colonists to go perform the operation (euthanize), your colonists will go heal the bugs.  The bugs don't appear aggro upon healing (or maybe they were just slow), until a colonist freaks and starts attacking 'em.

#7 - Deep mountain bases don't appear to retain any heat, despite multiple air-locks?   If anything, they're colder?!?

Simulacrum0

#1 Scary is firefighting has nothing to do with combat.
#2 Visitor's don't seek safe temperature never had.
#3 Toxic fallout rots every thing and will kill every thing given  time.
#4 Doors don't close with items in the way. and bugs have a min argo ranage and wont go far from there nets
#5 Euthanize can only be done on a pwn in a bed. just shot the downed bugs
#6 This wont mater if you shot the bugs
#7 Inside mountains were made to be cooler for the new biome, extreme desert.

porcupine

Quote from: Simulacrum0 on April 14, 2016, 01:23:05 AM
#1 Scary is firefighting has nothing to do with combat.
My bad, was paraphrasing (And thought I had the right term) --  Incapable of violence.

#2 Visitor's don't seek safe temperature never had.
But they clearly should, it only makes sense.

#3 Toxic fallout rots every thing and will kill every thing given  time.
Fair 'nuff, hence why I mentioned
#4 Doors don't close with items in the way. and bugs have a min argo ranage and wont go far from there nets
Yeah, but this isn't from range, it's clearly a bug.  The range was varying the entire time (since the bugs are wandering the room, and would have been equal distance at stuck open door, as they were at broken open wall).
#5 Euthanize can only be done on a pwn in a bed. just shot the downed bugs
#6 This wont mater if you shot the bugs
Actually it does work, if you issue the operate command again once the bugs are in a pet bed, they get euthanized, hence bug.

#7 Inside mountains were made to be cooler for the new biome, extreme desert.
Sure, but this makes no sense/breaks immersion.  Mountains would buffer temperature changes, it's implausible that the buffer effect only works one way, doesn't make any sense.

Simulacrum0

Incapable of violence can still equip weapons (can haul 2 items per trip this way)
yes they should, had pwns die next to a door were it was a nice 70f and -100f outside, its not in there scripts yet.
the thing with the doors is a script thing to, its not set as held open so the ai does not treat it as open.
i never sad it coud not be done i sad it had to be in a bed, still faster to just shot-em.
Mountains buffer temperature changes on earth were not on earth.

porcupine

Quote from: Simulacrum0 on April 14, 2016, 02:03:12 AM
Incapable of violence can still equip weapons (can haul 2 items per trip this way)

Sure, I'm pointing out the descriptive text of what they're doing is wrong.  They're not searching for targets, they're incapable of using weapon.

the thing with the doors is a script thing to, its not set as held open so the ai does not treat it as open.
Hence, bug.

Mountains buffer temperature changes on earth were not on earth.

This isn't an "on earch, not on earth" sort of discrepancy, this is a basic physics discrepancy, hence why I profiled this as a bug.

ison

Quote from: porcupine on April 13, 2016, 07:07:00 PM
#1 - Colonist incapable of scary wielding gun (forced), during combat/draft yields the message "searching for targets".  If he's incapable of scary, clearly he's not searching for targets (I had to pause and dig around to figure out why he couldn't see the bugs right in front of him).

Fixed.

#3 - Corpses appear to rot, in -30 weather?!  After loading a save, a 2 day dead polar bear is clearly rotting, despite the outdoor temp being -30.  This might have been during a toxic rain event, not sure if that matters? (but if so, "rotting" might not be the best description?)

Working as intended.

#4 - If a nest spawns, and the jelly appears in a door way, the door stays closed.  When the door is sprung open, it can no longer be closed (without removing the jelly).  The insects inside however do not react/walk through/etc., making a shooting gallery until a wall segment breaks/etc.

#6 - If you add a pet bed (for #5 above), and tell your colonists to go perform the operation (euthanize), your colonists will go heal the bugs.  The bugs don't appear aggro upon healing (or maybe they were just slow), until a colonist freaks and starts attacking 'em.

Fixed.

Tynan

#2 - Traders freeze to death outside your front door, instead of coming in to safe temperature.  Faction rep does not appear to drop (thankfully)

Reported elsewhere, thanks. We'll look into this.

#7 - Deep mountain bases don't appear to retain any heat, despite multiple air-locks?   If anything, they're colder?!?

Working as intended.

-----------

The one actual remaining bug is:

#5 - If you down the insects, and then add an operation to Euthanize them, you receive an error indicating no pet bed, so you can't kill 'em.

I think we shouldn't allow ordering euthanasia on hostile pawns.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

porcupine

Quote from: Tynan on April 18, 2016, 07:52:39 PM

Working as intended.
...  What, no respect for physics?  I am disappoint.

Quote from: Tynan on April 18, 2016, 07:52:39 PM
The one actual remaining bug is:

I think we shouldn't allow ordering euthanasia on hostile pawns.

I had not gotten far enough to see if it stacked in the mood debuff as well (presumably would, right?), but it seemed logical -- in the sense it was similar to the downed centipede/scyther shut down operation.

RemingtonRyder

If you're surrounded by cold rock, then of course you're going to lose the heat that you generate.

ison

#5 is fixed. We no longer allow operations on hostile animals.