Reinforced Roofing and Change in how Hives spawn

Started by Captain Sho, April 19, 2016, 07:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Sho

I feel like roofing is something that has been neglected in this game and considering it simply doesnt have any visible appeal I understand why but I think it could give people more options on how to they want to lay out their place compared to the current methods.
Right now the roofing types are constructed, rock roof and overhead mountain. Overhead mountain is currently the only one that has a use outside of it just being a roof. This is what led to so many people digging into mountain and thus introduction of the Hives.

But i think roofs can be expanded on in the same way walls are.
You would have different roofing materials (wood, steel, brick, etc.) but each one would have its own perks and limitations.
Example:
Wood Roof: Cheap, Quick to build, and can extended up to 6 cells from nearest wall but does nothing against mortars and pirates dropping on to your base.
Steel Roof: Insulates room from outdoor temperatures, can extended up to 5 cells from nearest wall, but partly protects against mortars and will sometimes injure pirates dropping through the roof.
Brick Roof: Costly, time consuming to build and can only extend up to 3 cells from nearest wall but insulates room, but protects against mortars and will injure and sometimes kill pirates dropping through the roof.

Now as for Hives I dont like how it is just a random event that can even punish those that dont build into the mountains. I had a hive spawn inside my base because there was a 4x4 area where i had mined out components.
So i had two possible ideas for this:
1) Everytime a pawn mined a rock that has a overhead mountain there is a x% chance that a hive would spawn

2) There would be caverns inside of mountains and when mined into the hive inside would become active. (Kind of like the ancient chambers with the Mechanoids)

Both of these would help prevent people from turning into mole men at least until they are able to deal with such events.

Boston

Except, you know, the existence of insulation, both "primitive" and "modern", means there is no difference between wood, steel and brick (don't you mean tile?).

Log cabins usually have roofs made of layers of birchbark, sod, moss and wooden shingles, yet you can live in those in the Arctic and be plenty warm.

The drop-pods used by pirates are "dropped" from effectively low-orbit, nothing asides from an actual mountain will be able to stop them.

FreyaMaluk

I just don't get what is the problem with the damn infestations. Just mine large corridors in the back of your base, corridors you don't use, leave a nice amount chunks there and there is a high chance of them spawning in that area.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/105107289904701273/BEA22BFFBCF25BF984534C86F5EDD8FB0F936320/

This is an old save file (currently sick writing from my laptop). Right now I have more of those large corridors 2x2 wide and hives keep spawning in the back of my base. I've isolated the habitable area with doors and now anytime I get an infestation I couldn't be happier... Free kibble. Free Insect Jelly. xD! I use 2 teams in a kind of cross pattern: one with sniper rifles, other with assault and charge rifles.