Milk Boomalope for explosives

Started by Mathenaut, April 20, 2016, 02:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathenaut

Isn't there a way that domesticated boomalope can be harvested?

mumblemumble

I do think it would be neat if explosion wasn't an on death thing, but perhaps linked with fear / pain / shock response,  perhaps so explosive glands could be harvested with a good shot,  or domesticated ones...  Also,  boomalope heart attacks are silly.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Tynan

That's a really clever idea.

I'm just not sure what this resource would actually do. I'm a bit wary of adding more resources and complexity.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Mathenaut

Don't need to build a new resource structure out of it. Perhaps an alternative source of something we already have. Like fuel or something.

Dangerous to store, but valuable I suppose?

Boomalope don't really function on cold maps, otherwise I'd say edible fuel that increases body temp if eaten.

Panzer

Beat me to the punch it seems, had like the same idea some days ago but didnt post.

How about Beer + Boomalope explosives -> Molotov cocktails

Right now frag grenades cant be crafted, that boom juice could be a component too.

We could also use a new trap, the other ones rely too much on a pawn walking exactly above them, they re hard to use in open colonies and rely too much on cheesy setups to guide attackers over them.
If grenades can be crafted, how about grenades + cloth -> boobytrap? 3x1 tile setup space, 2 tiles being the tripwire.

Lastly, unused boom juice could be used as higher grade fuel for generator, stove and smithy.

Vaperius

Quote from: Tynan on April 20, 2016, 02:54:20 AM

I'm just not sure what this resource would actually do. I'm a bit wary of adding more resources and complexity.

You can have it be used to make "Make-shift" artillery shells in place of the normal ones for IEDs and as a lesser quality ammunition in mortars. Nerf IEDs a little dmg wise, add a random event chance of them detonating in weather events plus a small random chance of them detonating anyway, make the make-shift shells cost 30 metal for 2-4 with X cost of Boomalope secretions, and make using the Make-shift shells in a mortar be risking a premature detonation in the barrel, them falling short of their target etc.

Essentially it let use produce more explosive traps then we currently do in the game; at the cost of making the traps more touchy, but also let us use them in mortars, but at risk of blowing up our colonist or just plain missing with the ineffective shells.

Also possibly a very small chance that someone with low crafting with blow themselves up making the shells.

Honestly the Boomalope are described as walking chemical factories right? Why not make them function in game as such. At the very least letting us extract the chemical for profit would make risking our entire base burning down or being roasted from the heat worth it. As of right now Boomalope are not a good creature to tame and their use as suicide bombers just isn't worth risking them having a heart-attack and blowing everything up.
I remain Vigilant.

keylocke

Quote from: Vaperius on April 20, 2016, 05:58:37 AM
Quote from: Tynan on April 20, 2016, 02:54:20 AM

You can have it be used to make "Make-shift" artillery shells in place of the normal ones for IEDs and as a lesser quality ammunition in mortars. Nerf IEDs a little dmg wise, add a random event chance of them detonating in weather events plus a small random chance of them detonating anyway, make the make-shift shells cost 30 metal for 2-4 with X cost of Boomalope secretions, and make using the Make-shift shells in a mortar be risking a premature detonation in the barrel, them falling short of their target etc.

Essentially it let use produce more explosive traps then we currently do in the game; at the cost of making the traps more touchy, but also let us use them in mortars, but at risk of blowing up our colonist or just plain missing with the ineffective shells.

Also possibly a very small chance that someone with low crafting with blow themselves up making the shells.

Honestly the Boomalope are described as walking chemical factories right? Why not make them function in game as such. At the very least letting us extract the chemical for profit would make risking our entire base burning down or being roasted from the heat worth it. As of right now Boomalope are not a good creature to tame and their use as suicide bombers just isn't worth risking them having a heart-attack and blowing everything up.

i like the idea of milking boomalopes and boomrats as a component for artillery shells. maybe lower the steel requirement and add an explosive ingredient for it. boomalopes can probably produce lots of incendiary enzymes or whatever compared to boomrats.

now that i think about it, do IEDs need to be built using steel? why not wood or stone or steel + explosive ingredient? so instead of having multiple types of mortars, why not just 1 mortar type with different types of ammo? ie : wood + explosive = incendiary shells, stone + explosive = explosive shells, steel + explosive = EMP shells, etc..

skullywag

I have a mod i use locally (not released) where "boomjuice" is milked from tamed boomalopes, this allows me to craft incendiary things like the trap, artillery shells (I have incendiary ones in my game, again modded) among other things, it makes it an investment of time and risk to get fire based weaponry.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Vaperius

Quote from: skullywag on April 20, 2016, 07:27:13 AM
I have a mod i use locally (not released) where "boomjuice" is milked from tamed boomalopes, this allows me to craft incendiary things like the trap, artillery shells (I have incendiary ones in my game, again modded) among other things, it makes it an investment of time and risk to get fire based weaponry.

I don't suppose you'd consider releasing your mod?
I remain Vigilant.

Mathenaut

I don't think artillery shells see enough use to push them behind another resource gate.

That said, I'd prefer this to be something of practical use, not some one-off gimmick.

Vaperius

Quote from: Mathenaut on April 20, 2016, 08:32:37 AM
I don't think artillery shells see enough use to push them behind another resource gate.

That said, I'd prefer this to be something of practical use, not some one-off gimmick.

No not artillery shells;  "make-shift" artillery shells. You'd still need to scavenge or buy new manufactured ones; what I am suggesting are relatively cheap ones you can load into your mortars to bombard large raids from a distance and make explosive traps with. Artillery shells themselves simply wouldn't carry the risk of blowing up in your face. Also it be nice if we go a turret that can shoot straight forward in a long range with shells like a tank-gun emplacement but costs shells to use.
I remain Vigilant.

Toggle

I had this idea before. Made it into a mod, I just had to use the milking system but wasn't pleased with it, kinda forget. Only item I had that they would make was boomalope molotov's. A bigger bang, but single use. Used skullywags dll for single use weapon and had it technically a gun as a placeholder, since no single use grenade dll. Then I tried to change it to harvesting the explosive sac from them, but couldn't operate on animals, in the end a C# wall blocked me I think.

Did you change the label on what it says for milking skully? I think I remember not using the system because I had no way to change what it showed, and just 'milking' them didn't feel right for the mod.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

keylocke

boomjuice. simple and straightforward. i like it. just like healroot. (although they don't look like roots, they look like healing herbs. hehe)

Toggle

Quote from: keylocke on April 20, 2016, 08:56:19 AM

boomjuice. simple and straightforward. i like it. just like healroot. (although they don't look like roots, they look like healing herbs. hehe)

Yeah that's way better then just 'chemicals'. Which I may be guilty of.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

skullywag

I also use it to make 1 use "large" molotovs. Useful for creating panic.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?