Disturbed Sleep

Started by Mathenaut, April 20, 2016, 02:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathenaut

Has anyone figured out how exactly this works? It doesn't seem to be based around distance or line of sight.

Edit: 5 spaces for disturbed sleep, apparently. I'd say that 5 spaces is quite a bit, but my primary complaint is that this goes through walls.

Tynan

It is based around nothing more or less than distance and line of sight. Or maybe distance and room connection; I can't remember.

Stop people walking past other people while they sleep, in the same room -> no disturbed sleep debuff!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Mathenaut

Yeah, did some testing. If it's supposed to be line of sight (please say yes), that part does not seem to be working.

Take this design for example.

The entire room gets flagged when anyone enters. Not sure it should do that?

Tynan

It's based on sound, so yeah. It's room connectivity, not LOS.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Goldenpotatoes

Why is everyone on the rim world such light sleepers anyway? I can't imagine colonists are slamming their feet in the floor and slamming doors as they go.

(light and heavy sleeper traits when?)

Mathenaut

Quote from: Tynan on April 20, 2016, 01:29:41 PM

Any chance you'd consider scaling back the range? 5 squares is quite a bit for an indoors-mechanic that fires 360 and through walls. Unless this is the intent and you just don't want us using barracks?

Limdood

I had a colony where all my rooms were individual but i had granite doors all propped open, which DOES divide the room (and it was a defensive tactic...fleeing from the room i could set the door to close behind).

All my bedroom only EVER have 1 door, because i don't want colonists "shortcutting" through a bedroom of a sleeping colonist.

I do recall seeing the disturbed sleep occasionally...i thought it might be from the propped open doors, so i cancelled the hold open and kept playing...it might be worth rechecking to test?

PS.  if it is based on hearing, does a deaf colonist not get the debuff ever?  does hearing loss affect the range or severity.  Lastly, does hearing affect anything?  If so, what?

erdrik

Tatte

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on April 20, 2016, 01:52:50 PM
Why is everyone on the rim world such light sleepers anyway? I can't imagine colonists are slamming their feet in the floor and slamming doors as they go.

Imagine making a door out of wood and other crap in the middle of nowhere. It's not going to be quiet when opening/closing it.
~Tatte~

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: Tatte on April 21, 2016, 12:48:33 AM
Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on April 20, 2016, 01:52:50 PM

Imagine making a door out of wood and other crap in the middle of nowhere. It's not going to be quiet when opening/closing it.

I mean the basics of a door is a piece of wood on a hinge for swinging back and forth. Rimworld for some reason only knows how to build sliding doors, but I really doubt the doors make that much noise unless their stuff like stone or plasteel.

cultist

Quote from: Mathenaut on April 20, 2016, 02:54:08 PM

Any chance you'd consider scaling back the range? 5 squares is quite a bit for an indoors-mechanic that fires 360 and through walls. Unless this is the intent and you just don't want us using barracks?

The penalty only stacks to 4, which is -6 IIRC. You can eliminate most of that with a very impressive barracks. I've tried various setups, such as only giving private rooms to fragile (depressive, too smart, pessimist etc.) colonists but it's not really worth it. Private rooms for everyone should be a priority as soon as time and resources allow it.

Mathenaut

Quote from: cultist on April 21, 2016, 11:09:26 AM
Quote from: Mathenaut on April 20, 2016, 02:54:08 PM

The penalty only stacks to 4, which is -6 IIRC. You can eliminate most of that with a very impressive barracks. I've tried various setups, such as only giving private rooms to fragile (depressive, too smart, pessimist etc.) colonists but it's not really worth it. Private rooms for everyone should be a priority as soon as time and resources allow it.

That is actually a little disappointing. Especially with how long that debuff lasts. I guess that's just how we have to do it, then.