Tone down insect hives. Give the player more time to respond.

Started by Zanfib, April 20, 2016, 04:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Britnoth

Playing on normal speed all the time is not really an option though is it. Until that is fixed, people will die before you can hit pause.

Then it just becomes RNG irritating, not difficult.

Hunting animals are equally irritating too. If you want to try it, I made a simple alert when something larger than a human starts hunting anything. You can find it in my thread in the unfinished mods forum.

silverskin

I like the idea of making them like those crashed ships full of mechanoids.

One hive could appear in your base. When attacked, it will spit out all the creatures it does and start pumping more out over time. Attacking it would activate it and it would act like they do now. But if you left it alone, then it would be safe.
But then you make it dangerous by making the hive spread. As long as one hive is peaceful on your map, every couple of days an extra hive would appear. It might be nearby, it might be 50 squares away, in another part of your underground base/mining tunnel. The longer you leave it, the more hives will appear.
The danger is that once you attack one of them, they ALL activate. If you left it until there were 8 hives around then you're in serious trouble. And the longer you leave it, the more likely some idiot raider is going to shoot one by accident and suddenly you're buried under bugs.

Psychic ship parts are dangerous because the longer you leave them, the worse they affect your colonists. Make it similar with the hives. The longer you leave them, the harder the infestation will be to clear. Like real bug nests.

The starcraft part of me would like to see the terrain under them change and spread, like creep. Then other hives could appear on new creep. But then your colonists could keep one hive isolated by building walls around it or paving over the creep and that would be too easy. And if you couldn't pave over it, then that would ruin underground bases forever. So nuts to that idea.

Harold3456

Quote from: killer117 on April 20, 2016, 08:23:44 PM
Yeah i didnt understand why u guys wanted more delay time. The delays fine, my guys always get out in time. The only problem is that no matter what lvl my guys are at they just arent able to kill them. The only efective tactic ive found is making all the furniture out of wood, and if a bug hive spawns use a molotov and roast them in the room. It only works occasionly, and the thrower usually dies or at least loses a body part, but my 6 charge rifle weilding power armour wearing colonists got shreded in a fair fight so i dunno how else to kill them

I have one huge room in my mountain dedicated to these bugs. It's set in the deepest part of the mountain, surrounding all other romms (I don't know if bugs spawn randomly, or only in the innermost rooms, but when I built this one I assumed the latter, so this room runs in an arc around all my other rooms). I have no problem getting a molotov into there without losing my colonist, and then I just let the bugs roam around until the room heats up and they all combust.

Unfortunately, it gets so hot in there that everything (bug jelly, corpses) is destroyed, so no loot, but at least this room is unfurnished so nothing of value is actually lost.

Britnoth

As this is unlikely to be fixed before the next alpha release, I made my own bug fix for infestations:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17094.msg210793#msg210793

Force slows the game to normal speed for the time period between hives spawning and their ants popping out. Enjoy.