Bug hives : any real hope to take them out?

Started by mumblemumble, April 15, 2016, 09:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Quote from: newcadence on April 17, 2016, 03:56:07 AM
Use coolers to freeze an enclosed shaft so that the bug hives are destroyed.

That does sound perfect.  How cold do you have to make it to kill the hives?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Aarkreinsil

Very. Sustaining -65°C for over a day did nothing for me.

Depending on the biome you live in, it might be easier to cook them with heaters, campfires or molotovs.

Justas love

Put stone blocks or whatever in a door, the door will be opened and you can shoot through it while the bugs are just wandering

mumblemumble

Quote from: Justas love on April 17, 2016, 08:50:51 AM
Put stone blocks or whatever in a door, the door will be opened and you can shoot through it while the bugs are just wandering
this is an exploit though,  id rather not use exploits.

Plus this will be fixed next alpha
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Cazakatari

Heat or cold depending on your biome seems to be the safest way to deal with them, especially early on.  I have a colony of almost 10 years now that is equipped with devilstrand and pulse rifles so using the door and retreat method works pretty well

Astasia

Easiest way to take them out is to set their spawn chance to 0 in the game files.

If they just spawned in mining areas, rough stone floor, no light, I'd be fine with that. A balancing point to going straight into a deep mountain colony, a risk for digging faster than you can "develop." Instead they seem to spawn anywhere there's a natural roof, even when you attempt to build a large colony out in the open and just happen to clip into a small hill with one of your rooms, and bam you have a giant swarm of them spawning in a well lit carpeted bedroom while your guy is in there sleeping. **** that.

hunter2012

choke points and fire or sealing off and using freezers

Dran

I've had them spawn 3 times in the same spot and it was close enough to me where I could kite them to my turrets. I've gone a little deeper into their tunnels once and still managed great. I dunno how you guys are having so much trouble just requires a little kiting.

I wonder if you could make a compound and let them infest all the surrounding area and use them as a defense from raids.

Rock5

Quote from: Shurp on April 17, 2016, 06:09:10 AM
Quote from: newcadence on April 17, 2016, 03:56:07 AM
Use coolers to freeze an enclosed shaft so that the bug hives are destroyed.

That does sound perfect.  How cold do you have to make it to kill the hives?
Quote from: Aarkreinsil on April 17, 2016, 06:11:03 AM
Very. Sustaining -65°C for over a day did nothing for me.

Depending on the biome you live in, it might be easier to cook them with heaters, campfires or molotovs.

I'm pretty sure the hive is one of the first things to go. Next are the small bugs at about -25c. The big bugs need a temperature below -50c.

I believe their heat tolerance is a LOT more than their cold tolerance so I find the freezer method the easiest, but it can be tricky to enclose them in a small enough area to cool. Another problem is you will most likely need a few coolers so you need a stretch of wall to put 4 or 5 coolers.

It helps to plan ahead and strip mine in small room like areas so when you have an infestation you only have to put a couple of walls and its sealed.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport