[A13]Arbitration: Realistic Research - Overhaul, modpack, vehicles 06/13 v0.07

Started by jackarbiter, April 20, 2016, 09:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrownBee

I've noticed some issues with the tech tree. It's so complicated I made a better diagram to show dependencies and costs, as well as spreadsheet to make notes:

Research tree as a PDF:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7EZO5VMA-sdT1llWEpGdXk1NXc/view?usp=sharing

Research spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jX0kT7oQq6cieFMlB9jWjRRoWSsxa5HzErcDNGag-8o/edit?usp=sharing

My suggestions follow some themes:

I love the marathon game feel, so I would like to accentuate that more. I think that reference books should not be able to be written by the colonists (they should represent outside knowledge). This will stall the tech growth in the Industrial Revolution / Cowboy Era until enough books can be accumulated.

After that, I think the next hurtle should be getting beyond the "modern" era. I think a multi-analyzer should take plasteel, silver and an AI core. The key ingredient is the AI core, which represents  the supercomputer that the colonists are using to aid them with their research.

In the research tree, I showed the different eras so that I could visualize their costs and research requirements. The only exception is Computing, which can't require an advanced research bench (which it unlocks). I also suggested moving some techs & renaming them. If there is interest, I will update my diagram to continue to show the current tree.

Jack, I hope you will take this with the spirit of cooperation with which I wrote it. I'm not trying to tell you how you should write your mod - I would love to help you iron out the bugs, streamline the process, and increase the game balance at each research level!

I'm also happy to help you with tech descriptions at each level so that they have a standardized layout / info. Let me know what would be the best way to go about this if you are interested.

AllenWL

I noticed something when starting a new game. The 'foundations' research says 'unlocks beds', but it doesn't. Not for me anyways.

Grogfeld

Quote from: CrownBee on June 15, 2016, 09:41:24 PM
I love the marathon game feel, so I would like to accentuate that more. I think that reference books should not be able to be written by the colonists (they should represent outside knowledge). This will stall the tech growth in the Industrial Revolution / Cowboy Era until enough books can be accumulated.

It is interesting but there are some issues. For example how get this books? If by trader then it should be really rare and only one at a time. But then you could be doomed by RNGod. It could be triggered by events. I actually thought about it recently and with Miscellaneous mod from Haplo there is an event called rumors with outside map investigation. It could help to create an event where you could get reference books from this investigations and then write a book to summarize its knowledge and create different book stands as requirement for different techs. Actually, Jack, you could add it and just change rumors rewards, settings are in XML so no code changing.

Rimworld isn't about researching new stuff and technologies but to adapt to new environment, survive and this mod in some areas makes me feel that it goes in this direction.

I really like how Jack makes this mod. Every time I'm playing I get new story.

Well that's my 2 cents (or 2 grosze in Poland).

Sieppo

I started a new game with A13 after some time and some mods including this one. I seem to have ammo now. And stone arrows for example. The problem is, that my colonists seem not to know how to use them. Is there a trick (maybe a quiver etc)? They just go hunting for example with the short bow and leave the arrows on the stockpile..

Grogfeld

Quote from: Sieppo on June 16, 2016, 09:52:14 AM
I started a new game with A13 after some time and some mods including this one. I seem to have ammo now. And stone arrows for example. The problem is, that my colonists seem not to know how to use them. Is there a trick (maybe a quiver etc)? They just go hunting for example with the short bow and leave the arrows on the stockpile..

Ammo is from CR (Combat Realism) for more help go to CR topic ( here a good tutorial https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9759.msg225423#msg225423 ) but to use ammo you must create loadout. It's in tab where you can make outfit for your colonists. There you can specify for example"hunter" and give him short bow and few arrows and he'll pick it by himself and refill when he needs it. For default loadout you have "Nothing". Pawn will carry everything what you will order him but when you create new loadout and assign it to someone, he will drop on the ground everything that's not in loadout table. REMEMBER: Don't mess with "Nothing" one because you can see bugs, or destroy your save files. 

Sieppo

Thanks for the answer! I did not install combat realism. As far as I remember (the game is on my other computer, cannot check now). Are you sure it's not partly a part of this mod? I found about the loadout with searching but it did not work. The colonists did not pick up any ammo regardless of loadout. The mod-combination must be broken somehow :/..

Part of this mods description:

"Combat realism: All the buildings ported over to inherit the damage values from CR, all the weapons and turrets ported over (all the turrets are craftable and minifiable, and have to be placed, and you can take your cannon and your gatling gun over to the ongoing siege and give 'em hell), boomalopes now drop chemical sacs that ignite at 21 degrees and ultimately explode, keeping the vanilla threat while providing you with a source of FSX if you can get the sacs, there are bunches of new ammo, etc. etc."

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Sieppo on June 16, 2016, 02:48:31 PM
Thanks for the answer! I did not install combat realism. As far as I remember (the game is on my other computer, cannot check now). Are you sure it's not partly a part of this mod? I found about the loadout with searching but it did not work. The colonists did not pick up any ammo regardless of loadout. The mod-combination must be broken somehow :/..

Part of this mods description:

"Combat realism: All the buildings ported over to inherit the damage values from CR, all the weapons and turrets ported over (all the turrets are craftable and minifiable, and have to be placed, and you can take your cannon and your gatling gun over to the ongoing siege and give 'em hell), boomalopes now drop chemical sacs that ignite at 21 degrees and ultimately explode, keeping the vanilla threat while providing you with a source of FSX if you can get the sacs, there are bunches of new ammo, etc. etc."

I believe Combat Realism has been integrated into this mod, at least a portion of it. You do not need to add it separately, nor do I think you can without running into problems.

Sieppo

I also noticed that some weapons show the box for ammunition next "draft" and some not.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Sieppo on June 16, 2016, 04:16:47 PM
I also noticed that some weapons show the box for ammunition next "draft" and some not.

Hmm, is it possible things with only one shot per reload don't show that? Seem to recall something like that.

Grogfeld

CR is in this modpack. Jack, just integrated every mod he wanted into one folder, you can see this in assemblies folder, there are all .dll files from different mods also first page has BIG FAT WOT (wall of text ;)) with description of every changes to integrated mods.

For me loadouts work really well, have you make them with tutorial from post I pointed out? Pawns do take stuff if they aren't draft. Draft, basically, is manual control over colonist so they do EVERYTHING that you say to them, except when they are suppressed and searching for cover and run in front of the bunker ;)

Could you tell which one? Bows and other one-shoot weapons doesn't have this texture.

Basically, this mod should be played as it is delivered so if you're using other mods there could be problems.

Minnigin

can I recommend a mod to add? Extended Storage by Skullywag, it's a great storage mod and isn't as flashy as quantums

Sieppo

Quote from: Grogfeld on June 16, 2016, 05:09:12 PM

CR is in this modpack. Jack, just integrated every mod he wanted into one folder, you can see this in assemblies folder, there are all .dll files from different mods also first page has BIG FAT WOT (wall of text ;)) with description of every changes to integrated mods.

For me loadouts work really well, have you make them with tutorial from post I pointed out? Pawns do take stuff if they aren't draft. Draft, basically, is manual control over colonist so they do EVERYTHING that you say to them, except when they are suppressed and searching for cover and run in front of the bunker ;)

Could you tell which one? Bows and other one-shoot weapons doesn't have this texture.

Basically, this mod should be played as it is delivered so if you're using other mods there could be problems.

Damn.. I really dont have mods that should conflict. Maybe  Rimfire? Attached is a picture of my mod-folder. Any ideas?

EDIT: one other thing I found out was strange. Even though out of bullets, colonist still went hunting and just kept shooting (empty shots) without bullets and notifications of out ofammo.

EDITEDIT: I added another picture of what seems to be a some kind of error with a colonist that arrived. Its about loadout - Loadout generator.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

nakie

Quote from: Sieppo on June 17, 2016, 03:46:23 AM
Damn.. I really dont have mods that should conflict. Maybe  Rimfire? Attached is a picture of my mod-folder. Any ideas?

EDIT: one other thing I found out was strange. Even though out of bullets, colonist still went hunting and just kept shooting (empty shots) without bullets and notifications of out ofammo.
When you installed the mod, did you restart the game before making a new world? That's important. If you don't CR does alot of weird stuff just like the one you're describing.

EDIT: Also are you using the CR-compatible version of Rimfire?

Sieppo

Quote from: nakie on June 17, 2016, 03:55:37 AM

When you installed that mod, did you restart the game before making a new world? That's important. If you don't CR does alot of weird stuff just like the one you're describing.

Probably no and no (did not know CR was part of this mod) :D. Thanks for the hints! Will make a new world..

Sieppo

Quote from: Sieppo on June 17, 2016, 04:05:52 AM
Quote from: nakie on June 17, 2016, 03:55:37 AM

When you installed that mod, did you restart the game before making a new world? That's important. If you don't CR does alot of weird stuff just like the one you're describing.

Probably no and no (did not know CR was part of this mod) :D. Thanks for the hints! Will make a new world..

Oh snap, now no world can be created. It just brings it back to the screen with the generate-button :((..