[A13]Arbitration: Realistic Research - Overhaul, modpack, vehicles 06/13 v0.07

Started by jackarbiter, April 20, 2016, 09:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzz1000

Quote from: jackarbiter on May 25, 2016, 07:27:15 PM

Quotemaybe it's some interference from other mods

What other mods are you using?
I think I found culprit  - I  use "wooden pallet"  form  ExtendedStorage1.4  more for decorative reasons for more nice stockpile of  building materials and wood

And I think they try to bring blocks from stockpile to it and then realise there not enought place to store all they take or something else wrong and they drop it back. Then they realize - it will be nice to move this things and story repeats

At least I disabled reciving anything for it and they stopped doing it for now.

Maybe same behavior could happen for stockpiles in general with different priorities and not enough space.

jackarbiter

Yeah, I think using my own ammo rack (modified quantum storage) was causing this for me for ammunition. Had to tweak the priorities (don't remember my exact steps) to get them to stop running circles with ammo.
Arbitration - One-folder modpack, marathon overhaul, working vehicles

DoubleX2

I don't know if it's just me that has this problem, but this mod makes my game lag like crazy. Been in dev mode trying to figure out what was messing it up...I think it has something to do with the amount of animals/pawns that makes it lag. to narrow it down, i turned of all mods except for core, CCL and Arbitration (in this order).
PC is 4GB ram 3.6 Dual CPU and GTX 550TI....never had problems with 100+ pawns before this mod :\
If you need more details, please do teach me how to send a console report or something like that... Thanks in advance

Justas love

I think it's the atv's and the vehicles, because i lagged when they showed up. It wasn't bad lag it was all just slower

DoubleX2

The thing is...it was on a brand new game...disabled animals, and it got better...even getting some visitors was lagging the hell out of it.

jackarbiter

Vehicles get pretty laggy, there is too much going on per tick. This is in the known issues (but probably isn't your issue as you say).

As for your issue, there is some extra code in there for animal carts and animal saddles (only animal carts works at the moment, I disabled saddles but the code is still there); BBream's probably running checks on all the animals, or something. Running with only a dual core processor is probably the problem, and not one I knew about. I only have two computers I can test with; one has 8 cores and one has 16 (retrofitted a server). I test on 400x400 maps and everything is buttery smooth when everyone's asleep and not driving around.

I can look at pulling extraneous code out (was hoping to get the saddles working so I left it in there) but honestly if you lag this bad, 20 raiders on vehicles is gonna murder you; I can't even do mid speed. But I'm going to fix that here shortly.

I'm sure the code could be better, both BBream's initial code but especially mine, but there's also a lot going on that isn't obvious. The vehicles lagging is most definitely my fault, for putting too much functionality in and for not preventing the checks (in the cases where I can) except for occasional ticks (right now the checks are mostly 60/sec).

The main reason for vehicle lag:

The vehicle itself ticks 60 times a second, and it has a comp that ticks 60 times a second.

These combined perform dozens of checks for position, pawn state, pawn job, the works, for a variety of reasons such as not having pawns have wierd jobs while on ATVs or not having ATVs abandoned at the edge of the map throwing errors.

I'm going to go through when I get a chance this evening and delay the checks for most of these. I'll take a look at animals and see if I can't short circuit something that'll make the load easier, or rip it out for now. But your problem right now is going to get much worse unless I do something about all of it. If you want to test and see how bad it gets, check the box on the title screen for dev mode, then when in game spawn a few 3000 point raids til you get an edge map invasion with ATVs.

Justas love

Quote from: DoubleX2 on May 26, 2016, 02:08:53 PM
The thing is...it was on a brand new game...disabled animals, and it got better...even getting some visitors was lagging the hell out of it.
Yep, played the game and it did lag with visitors, also when you right click something and if it has a lot of options then it usually kills your cpu, it has something to do with CR i dunno

DoubleX2

CR, from what i recall does get a bit laggy when for ex: accessing the machining table (Diferent config). The thing is, unless it's something happening behind the scenes to which i have no idea...it isnt the ATV's...Simple pawns lag it...animals lag it...just did a fresh install, will Post results if it helped and some more testing
PS: Still a great mod and thanks for going through all the trouble. Keep it up :D

zzz1000

I didn't find how to remove atv from reiders, only where it defined so I just ask politely  them  to dimount on spawn and kill teir cars with delete tool to keep it fair. :)

I have another question :
A wall made of logs stacked together. Strong and somewhat fast to build, but flammable, requires a lot of wood,
costStuffCount 10

A wall built with a stone, wooden, or metal frame  average build time, low cost.
costStuffCount 10

A wall built out of stone takes a lot of work, and a lot of stone,
costStuffCount 10

jackarbiter

Quote from: zzz1000 on May 26, 2016, 04:11:49 PM
I didn't find how to remove atv from reiders, only where it defined so I just ask politely  them  to dimount on spawn and kill teir cars with delete tool to keep it fair. :)

I have another question :
A wall made of logs stacked together. Strong and somewhat fast to build, but flammable, requires a lot of wood,
costStuffCount 10

A wall built with a stone, wooden, or metal frame  average build time, low cost.
costStuffCount 10

A wall built out of stone takes a lot of work, and a lot of stone,
costStuffCount 10

Thanks, that's another holdover from when I had two versions going and juggling the defs was getting ridiculous :( The framed wall should be 5. Will put it in with the next update.

I've added a patch to remove raider ATVs for people who get lagged by a lot of vehicles or for people who just don't want the feature.

Bonkus72

Great mod, loving it so far.  The patch you put up to remove raider atv's was named improperly, it shows up as No Infestations in the mod list in-game.  Just a heads up.

jackarbiter

Quote from: Bonkus72 on May 26, 2016, 05:45:12 PM
Great mod, loving it so far.  The patch you put up to remove raider atv's was named improperly, it shows up as No Infestations in the mod list in-game.  Just a heads up.

Thanks for letting me know, I do that every friggin' time when I copy info over. Fixed.

jackarbiter

Quote from: DoubleX2 on May 26, 2016, 04:11:20 PMSimple pawns lag it...animals lag it...

I addressed some performance issues, vehicles are way better, but I can't test pawn/animal lag (though I did try to address it). Let me know if it works for you.

florencka

I too have problems with pawns hauling items from one place to another in the same zone over and over again  with vehicles. They never stop until I forbid the vehicle. The problem doesn't exist with manual hauling. It is somehow related with me having another zone with higher priority. They want to haul the items to there, but they don't, even if there is free space. I only use edb colonist bar in addition to this mod. Please fix it, I can't use vehicles like that at all. I love the idea and this mod is otherwise great!

SirDerpface