Deadfall traps and visitor animals

Started by RemingtonRyder, April 22, 2016, 10:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

Deadfall traps will fire eventually if visitor animals (specifically, the caravans) wander over them often enough. And they will, if the wander path goes through a trapped area.

Thing is, having a choke corridor with a trap is basically a great way to make sure that enemies have to run over it. :/

It's not my colony's fault if visitors can't keep keep their animals at heel, but the reputation tracker seems to believe otherwise.

firescythe

I think it is a responsibility that a colony takes when setting up deadfall traps. It actually has the chance that others will wander into it. I refrain to use them exactly because of this. It might be possible to set them up safely, but it works now as it would in IRL. If you would wander into a forest in unknown land where locals have set up beartrap, you and your companions (even if animals) have the very same chances of avoiding it.
I think.

panofduluth

Just not using dead falls is not a good work around though. if it is an ally tribe they should be aloud to walk over it i would hope. similar to DF. I don't use dead falls for this reason as well so they are pretty much useless.

RazorHed

Visitors will bypass a tunnel of traps if you have a bypass available .

Shabazza

As far as I know, visitors will go through your doors. So they can take the same safe routes as your colonists to enter/exit your base.
Just make sure to not have the only way in or out filled with traps without a way to avoid them.
But usually you won't have this anyway, as your own colonists would then wander into traps too.

NWCtim

Given that trade caravan animals will eat your crops, or even the food you just bought from said trade caravan, I have hard time feeling bad if one of them gets hit by one of my traps.

That said, both of these are things that should be fixed.

Shabazza

Quote from: NWCtim on April 30, 2016, 11:41:24 AM
Given that trade caravan animals will eat your crops, or even the food you just bought from said trade caravan, I have hard time feeling bad if one of them gets hit by one of my traps.
Guess you have a valid point here. *evilgrin*

NephilimNexus

Mountain range, dug a tunnel through it, total AI pathing bait.  Placed twelve deadfall traps inside.  Occasionally go out to haul bodies, reset traps and collect free loot.

Aarkreinsil

They actually try to path around the deadfall traps, though. Unless you leave FREE MEALS on top of the traps, then they will gleefully throw themselves in the grinder to get some free noms.

Jorlem

For whatever reason, traders and visitors like to hang out in my killboxes, and wander through my bypass doors into my zigzag trapped pathways.  I think it is because the killboxes are the closest they can get to my colony without being indoors, but I'm not sure.  (If they are there when a raid hits, I usually wait to turn on the turrets, to see if they'll fight for me.)