Grass can spawn on its own from soil/rich soil

Started by NWCtim, April 28, 2016, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWCtim

This simulates the irl effect of the soil seed bank, where seeds for plants will lie dormant in the ground, safe from things like poor weather and fire, while also making it easier for the map to repopulate grass after events like large fires and overgrazing.

b0rsuk

You can also increase the seed travel range, I believe currently it's about 3 squares which is why it works so slowly.

AllenWL

Edit: Woops, didn't see what part of the forums this was on.

Also, I think lichen covered dirt should spawn moss, because well, it's covered in lichen, and those are moss-like things, right?

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 29, 2016, 04:45:59 AM
You can also increase the seed travel range, I believe currently it's about 3 squares which is why it works so slowly.

wild animals could "carry" seeds around in their inventory which have a timer that drops it at the end.

JonoRig

I'm all for anything that regrows back forests. The amount of luscious green maps I've played that within a year or two look more like the pre alpha's arid dryland, before trees were even a thing, is a little frustrating. I tried to seed the map with growing zones and trees, but it made things worse when raiders came in and set all my trees on fire