Remove "wanderer joins" or revamp.

Started by hector212121, April 22, 2016, 11:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limdood

Quote from: Shinzy on April 23, 2016, 01:22:18 PM
I'd just like to see some more flavour text come with them and a reason why they were automatically accepted. Something like "Colonist Bacchus has invited a lone wanderer join the colony"

kind of like the colony naming at the start where random one of your guys "suggest" to name the place

I would help alot with rolling with it or even shape that colony's story in your head
and give another reason to hate Bacchus

I like this....you already have the "option" of rejecting the wanderer (for 5 seconds of work, you can dig a grave, and for 10 seconds more, bury the poor sap - there is no loss of mood unless its already family).  It is meant to be the MOST beneficial new colonist event...the storyteller telling you "hey, you're kinda below the minimum number of colonists to really have a balanced experience from what i'm throwing at you."

Flavor would be amazing. 
-Colonist Bacchus has invited Redfields to join the colony.
-Another survivor of the shipwreck, Redfields, has recently landed nearby and has made their way to your settlement.
-A wandering nomad passing by has decided to join up with your colony in the interests of better chances of survival for all.

Etc.

Silvador

Quote from: Limdood on April 23, 2016, 02:34:41 PM-Colonist Bacchus has invited Redfields to join the colony.
-Another survivor of the shipwreck, Redfields, has recently landed nearby and has made their way to your settlement.
-A wandering nomad passing by has decided to join up with your colony in the interests of better chances of survival for all.

Etc.

Because who can imagine these stories on their own... Kids today. Gotta have all the stories told to them.

Shinzy

Quote from: Silvador on April 24, 2016, 06:02:53 AM
Because who can imagine these stories on their own... Kids today. Gotta have all the stories told to them.

Thats more giving a small shove to start using it Silvy. Setting up the event properly helps a great deal coming up with the rest yourself 

Zombra

It does seem weird.  With just a tiny bit of reframing these events can be made more sensible, interactive, and fun.

Instead of just arbitrarily adding a guy to your roster, start it like a visitor event.  "A visitor arrives who would like to join your colony."  Then they walk up like any visitor, with the question mark floating over their head.  Just like any other visitor, you can look at their stats at any time.  You can right click on them and "Invite to join Colony".  If you don't, after a certain amount of time they will leave.  That's all that's needed to make this event not weird.  Should be very cheap to do.

Thane

Quote from: dragoduval on April 22, 2016, 12:17:31 PM
Send him naked against a huge animal, you either loose him or you gain free meat.

I just thought of this from the colonist's perspective:

"Hey new guy where are you going?"

*completely emotionless monotone*"I am going to strip off all my clothes in the store room, put my weapon in the rack, then I am going to challenge that grizzly, that is 400 yards away SSE, to fisticuffs."

"Well, have fun I guess. Will you need dinner?"

*monotone continues*"I doubt it. Good luck on those potatoes."
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Mathenaut

Quote from: Zombra on April 28, 2016, 02:40:46 PM
It does seem weird.  With just a tiny bit of reframing these events can be made more sensible, interactive, and fun.

Instead of just arbitrarily adding a guy to your roster, start it like a visitor event.  "A visitor arrives who would like to join your colony."  Then they walk up like any visitor, with the question mark floating over their head.  Just like any other visitor, you can look at their stats at any time.  You can right click on them and "Invite to join Colony".  If you don't, after a certain amount of time they will leave.  That's all that's needed to make this event not weird.  Should be very cheap to do.

I actually like this.

Vaporisor

Quote from: Mathenaut on April 28, 2016, 07:00:23 PM

I actually like this.
Seconded.  Simple and effective.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Thane

This looks like it would work very well. +1
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Luroshard

Instead of just arbitrarily adding a guy to your roster, start it like a visitor event.  "A visitor arrives who would like to join your colony."  Then they walk up like any visitor, with the question mark floating over their head..  You can right click on them and "Invite to join Colony".
if this also means that I can order my colonists to gun him/her down just as I could with a visitor then +1

Too-DAMN-Much

wouldn't this be very easy? prisoner delivery service? free vetting first? no extra charge?

YES, PLEASE! ;)