Custom scenarios

Started by lewisd, February 07, 2014, 08:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewisd

I think it would be pretty cool to have a few kinds of custom scenarios.  Scenarios that are just maps, and scenarios that impart other restrictions, like which storyteller they use, and/or a set of starting colonists.

I picture a "Start Scenario" button on the main menu, that goes to a list of scenarios to be chosen.  The list would indicate what the scenario provides, any combination of: map, starting colonists, story teller.  Upon selecting a scenario, the player would be prompted for story teller and colonist creating if not supplied, just like starting a normal game.

The maps provided with scenarios would also specify a starting location for the pods to be dropped.

It's not a trivial feature, but it doesn't sound like it's giant either.

Darker

I think using gamesaves as scenarios is quite fine. What the game rather needs is a posibility to sort saves in directories.

With that, you could easily have "Scenarios" directory in your gamesave location.
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

lewisd

I don't think there's a way to do the things I suggested, like selecting a story teller, or different starting colonists, by just using savegames as scenarios.  That's why I was making this suggestion.

Karakoran

I think OP is more looking for a starting scenario where you would select something like Super Planet 3 Million - Rainy, Mountainous, Colonists: Oger- Hoger- Boger-, and Classic Storyteller. In which case gamesaves would sort of work, but would be impractical.

Darker

It's true that it would be more practical to select the stuff you start with manually. And I too miss possibility of multiple environments but I believe this is planned.
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT