Stellaris!

Started by Tatte, April 23, 2016, 12:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatte

I recently just pre-ordered the Galaxy edition, can't wait to play it on may 9th! I can't wait to play it! Imagine having games like EU 4 and Stardrive 2, and a  bit of HOI, then you have stellaris! I think my favorite feature is of course the life-span of every pop/leader! I know one thing for sure is this picture is gonne be my first Xeno! :D

What are all of you excited for?

Anyone who DOESN'T know what stellaris is, here's a link!

Game Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJYRLFvJVFg

Funny gameplay of the Dev's playing stellaris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shoiYDp7EEA

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
~Tatte~

JimmyAgnt007

I already hate the colony screen.  HATE! IT!  The idea that there are a limited number of slots for buildings is idiotic.  Hmmm... whole planet and we can get a limit of things on it.  Right...  I want my hive cities from warhammer 40k, corrisant from star wars.

That being said, if there is any company that can do it right its paradox. 

akiceabear

Very excited for it. I'm a fan of pretty much every mechanic they've revealed so far.

Who's going to make the RimWorld to Stellaris save game convertor? Basing race characteristics on the average of those that fly away from the colony. :)

Tatte

Quote from: akiceabear on April 24, 2016, 11:39:04 PM
Very excited for it. I'm a fan of pretty much every mechanic they've revealed so far.

Who's going to make the RimWorld to Stellaris save game convertor? Basing race characteristics on the average of those that fly away from the colony. :)

Now THERE'S an idea!
~Tatte~

falconbunker

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on April 24, 2016, 10:38:06 PM
I already hate the colony screen.  HATE! IT!  The idea that there are a limited number of slots for buildings is idiotic.  Hmmm... whole planet and we can get a limit of things on it.  Right...  I want my hive cities from warhammer 40k, corrisant from star wars.

That being said, if there is any company that can do it right its paradox.

If it has mod support that might be something someone could change. Also, does it have mod support?

Coenmcj

It's a balancing thing, pretty much all the 4x's do it cause otherwise it'd be unbalanced as all hell for multiplayer (SoaSE, Novaliths, enough said) or it'd eventually chew into a tonne of system resources, which considering the fact most 4X's have a L O T  of planets, can cripple the framerate.
imo, if they wanted to do that, make it an option. Some people can handle it, some can't.

Edit : Just got around to watching the video, first thing I noticed while it was buffering was. "...Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron. " and that alone almost made me nope out of there, I've been playing Strategies for closing on 2 decades, I bloody love the things!
But those two were so incredibly boring I almost understood why some people don't like the genre.
Stellaris looks like a solid game, I really hope it makes up for some of the previous games.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

JimmyAgnt007

Imperium Galactica 2 had a full 3D colony with RTS invasion battles and unlimited buildings.  I was stunned when i first saw it.  No doubt modern games could do better. 

Other than that, Master of Orion and the civilization games have one of each, that makes a bit more sense.  You cant build that new building because you used up all the slots vs. you can build one of each.  At least then you arnt left unable to build things.

Id have a totally different system if i was making it, but like i said, if anyone can make me like it it will be paradox.

keylocke

it looks intriguing.

can anyone post more of similar games? what are your favourites?

ie :

stardrive, sins of the solar empire, imperium galactica, etc.

edit :

i just watched and read about the combat system in stellaris..

apparently it is auto-combat.. and there are plenty of people who rationalize that this is supposedly a "good thing" coz they just wanna focus on "governing their empires" rather than "command a battle"...

ok..  ::) my attention is gone now..

akiceabear

If tactical combat is your fixation then Paradox games should be skipped - all the combat systems tend to be automated once you actually enter combat, with the player decisions being on composition, upgrading, prebattle positioning, etc (and not necessarily even those). They are very much a empire management rather than war game.

stefanstr

I've also preordered Stellaris.

keylocke - Paradox makes "grand strategy" - Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis also mostly have auto combat. For me, it's a feature. If I want tactical combat, I fire up something like RimWorld. When I'm managing an empire, it helps immersion to be somewhat separated from the battlefield.

keylocke

Quote from: akiceabear on May 01, 2016, 02:44:49 AM
If tactical combat is your fixation then Paradox games should be skipped - all the combat systems tend to be automated once you actually enter combat, with the player decisions being on composition, upgrading, prebattle positioning, etc (and not necessarily even those). They are very much a empire management rather than war game.

i thought mount&blade was a paradox game?

akiceabear

Quote from: keylocke on May 02, 2016, 06:15:01 AM

Paradox Development Studio makes games, Paradox Interactive distributes others' games.

Tatte

It is
~Tatte~

stefanstr

Quote from: Tatte on May 02, 2016, 12:20:25 PM

It is
Not quite. The studio that made Mount&Blade is called TaleWorlds (it was actually a married couple from Turkey). Paradox Interactive is their publisher. So while M&B was published by Paradox, it's not really their game.

Paradox has their own Paradox Development Studio, which made games such as Crusader Kings, Victoria and Europa Universalis - and now Stellaris.

It's like Civilization 5 and X-COM was made by Firaxis but published by 2K.

keylocke

hmm.. yea.. more like civ games i guess. i was hoping it would be like a sins of a solar empire + a more in-depth 4x game.

i still don't get what is the main distinction of stellaris? is this more like a crusader kings in space and with upgraded graphics?