Move Butcher table to kitchen?

Started by Barley, April 23, 2016, 02:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barley

Although the kitchen's stats don't currently seem to effect anything, if it ever does the butcher table should be made part of the list of kitchen furnishings, not the workshop furnishings. After all, it makes more sense to have both of these facilities in the same room near the fridge, and both use the same skill to determine the degree of success.

Furthermore, if the kitchen's stats are made to matter in the future, the defining room trait for cooking success will likely be cleanliness, and workshops are rarely clean.

Limdood

Quote from: Barley on April 23, 2016, 02:47:39 AM
Furthermore, if the kitchen's stats are made to matter in the future, the defining room trait for cooking success will likely be cleanliness, and workshops are rarely clean.
The butcher table causes a LOT of mess...there is no inherently dirty activity on any of the workstations in the game EXCEPT the butcher table.

RemingtonRyder

Cleanliness is already taken into account when checking the chance of food poisoning. It just isn't reflected in the kitchen room stats.

firescythe

Dunno guys, IRL my branch of family living in villages, they have buther places _not_ in living areas of a house, and for a deeply understanded reason. I followed the same principle, having the buther table close to walk-in freezer, but out of living area and just works perfectly. Buthering is not something that generates dirt, but generates wastes! Isn't that happy and easy that you don't need to manages leftovers like bones of a processed animal? Hooves? Heads? Limbs?

On the other hand, workshop stations are supposed to generate mess. Machinery, sculpture table, even furnaces... so I think just be happy that they are not yet doing it :) stuffs do not come from workstations as cleanly as seen on shop shelves.

Snownova

Quote from: MarvinKosh on April 24, 2016, 04:45:36 AM
Cleanliness is already taken into account when checking the chance of food poisoning. It just isn't reflected in the kitchen room stats.

So if I give my kitchen sterile tiles I'll have less food poisoning? Pff, that's 3 rooms sucking up silver now, hospital, lab and kitchen.

RemingtonRyder

You don't have to have sterile tiles for the kitchen, it's enough to make sure someone comes by and cleans all the filth which has accumulated.

Vaporisor

Did not know about the food poisoning.  That explains a lot.  In this play, I have my butcher's table outside as part of roleplay under an awning-like shed.  Not seeing food poisoning really.  Cleanliness to food poison.  Huh, logical and did not know.

Butchery is a mess though.  I would never want to do it where I prepare meals.  Even just something like fish, the gutting and filleting is such a messy job that usually they have a specific place set away from everything else to do it.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

cultist

Quote from: Vaporisor on April 26, 2016, 01:49:27 PM
Did not know about the food poisoning.  That explains a lot.  In this play, I have my butcher's table outside as part of roleplay under an awning-like shed.  Not seeing food poisoning really.  Cleanliness to food poison.  Huh, logical and did not know.

Butchery is a mess though.  I would never want to do it where I prepare meals.  Even just something like fish, the gutting and filleting is such a messy job that usually they have a specific place set away from everything else to do it.

I think food poisoning is only checked when a meal is cooked. So butchering outside should be safe. You just need to keep the area where the stove is located clean. I do a lot of my butchering in barns and it's never been an issue. Cooking skill seems to be the biggest factor, good cooks will almost never poison a meal, really bad cooks do it somewhat often.

Vaporisor

Very cool info, and thanks.  It does explain a lot because in more harsh climates and early game when space is limited, butchery and cooking are usually same place and I got regular food poisoning.  I just thought it was a random chance based on grade of food, not that it was tied to the food's creation
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes