What temperature will stuff spontaneously ignite at?

Started by Chibiabos, April 22, 2016, 10:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

I'm trying to intentionally build an incinerator building without having to research a crematorium to deal with an overabundance of desiccated animal corpses courtesy a toxic fallout event. :/  Just waiting for them to decay on their own takes eons ... at one year, the desiccated corpses seem to be at 50% HP still, so I tried building a tiny building around a Geothermal vent (did not bother building a generator), 6 square tiles (2x3) I zoned and moved desiccated animal corpses to.  I sealed it up with walls (purposefully did not put a door in, don't want colonists wandering in!) and the temperature fluctuates between about 140C and 220C, not enough to ignite apparantly :/  So I destroyed a wall, expanded it to 2x4 to accomodate a Campfire and added a reverse cooler to add to the temperature, and now its cycling between about 190C and 260C or so ... the desiccated corpses are still not igniting :/

What temperature do I need to get it to, in order to get these @#$ing desiccated corpses to burn?
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Lys

Not really sure, but a much easier way of getting stuff to burn is to throw molotovs on it ;)

Chibiabos

Quote from: Lys on April 22, 2016, 10:41:08 PM
Not really sure, but a much easier way of getting stuff to burn is to throw molotovs on it ;)

Not 'much easier' if I don't have any :/

Dspendragon

This is Rimworld people, Where cannibals ware pink helmets and nudest decide to go outside when its -59F, And where shit happens. Its anything but fare or balanced, Lady Luck rolls a 1000-sided dice and 80% of that dice says"Death"on it. Your job is keeping your people alive in bad rolls. Good Luck.

Chibiabos

Quote from: Dspendragon on April 22, 2016, 11:56:34 PM
400F and above.

That's 204C, I got it above that but no ignition on those dessicated corpses :(

Mathenaut

It only ignites your generator and other valuable things you don't want to burn. Come on, guys.

mumblemumble

Actually, ambient temperature only auto ignites pawns, nothing else.

You can see this for certain by spamming heat wave till the planets surface hits 1k f
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Chibiabos

Bah!  Lame!  :(  I guess Tynan wants to force us to research and build a crematorium to clean up after Toxic Fallout desiccated corpse messes :(

mumblemumble

Quote from: Chibiabos on April 23, 2016, 12:54:41 AM
Bah!  Lame!  :(  I guess Tynan wants to force us to research and build a crematorium to clean up after Toxic Fallout desiccated corpse messes :(

Please.  Just build a stone room,  stockpile for corpses / clothes (allow rotten,  lower priority than butcher stockpile)  and toss a molotov in when at capacity. Works great,  just remember to forbid the room as home zone / lock the door so people don't kill themselves.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Chibiabos

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 23, 2016, 01:20:43 AM

Please.  Just build a stone room,  stockpile for corpses / clothes (allow rotten,  lower priority than butcher stockpile)  and toss a molotov in when at capacity. Works great,  just remember to forbid the room as home zone / lock the door so people don't kill themselves.

Again I don't have any molotovs at present :(  Can they even be arbitrarily fired with no enemy to target?

b0rsuk

The best part is it requires the Electric Smelter technology, because you can't just burn someone using wood.

mumblemumble

Quote from: Chibiabos on April 23, 2016, 01:57:56 AM
Quote from: mumblemumble on April 23, 2016, 01:20:43 AM

Again I don't have any molotovs at present :(  Can they even be arbitrarily fired with no enemy to target?
yes,  also works good for defensive brush fires...  But yeah, just get molotovs,  or a t9 ,  draft and use the fire command on any tile.

-----

Shurp

Devmode\destroy works well for cleaning the map of clutter.

What we really need is a more efficient means of burying junk.  Tynan should add a landfill to a14: construct a big hole in the ground, then toss stuff in, then cover with dirt when full.

Hmmm, just think of the fun that could be had with latrines, indoor toilets, and component failures.  "Aaaaahhhh!!!  The sewage is backing up into my bedroom!"
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Limdood

regular grenades work as well, though they are slower (3 hits on a corpse will destroy it), they cause no extra heat so can be done safely near your base with no infrastructure building to keep the base safe. 

More work intensive would be collapsing a roof onto dead bodies.

mumblemumble

Quote from: Shurp on April 23, 2016, 08:44:26 AM
Devmode\destroy works well for cleaning the map of clutter.

What we really need is a more efficient means of burying junk.  Tynan should add a landfill to a14: construct a big hole in the ground, then toss stuff in, then cover with dirt when full.

Hmmm, just think of the fun that could be had with latrines, indoor toilets, and component failures.  "Aaaaahhhh!!!  The sewage is backing up into my bedroom!"
imagine this as a weapon to demoralize raiders

-----