Suggestion: Cross over conduit

Started by Rock5, April 23, 2016, 10:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock5

There are some situation where I wish I could cross conduits without them touching, usually in regards to using switches. It would allow power to travel left and right or up and down but not around corners. I envision placing it over crossed conduits to change it into a crossover conduit. Here's my crude attempt at showing you what I mean. What do you think? Would it be possible to make a mod like this?

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Toggle

It would probably be easier to simply use several different conduits, probably colour themed, that can be placed on the same block.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Rock5

I think I know what you mean. Didn't I read somewhere about one of those heat/cooling mods using 2 levels of ducts that could cross over each other. That sounds similar.

I still like the idea of a simple cross over link. I think what you are suggesting would require another conduit definition with possible incompatibilities. And it seems unnecessary for another level of conduits when all you want to do is cross over the power.

But maybe you're right and it would just be easier to have another level.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Toggle

Yeah, cus having a power conduit transfer power through the same construction through 2 different ways... yeah that would probably be hellish to code.

Killaim

would be neat with multiple (types) of powerlines like you say.

stacking them ontop of each other.

perhaps just graphically letting them take up one spot on the square so if you have 3 types of wires you see them run along side each other in different colors.

then you would just need a tool to remove them individually if you want to suddenly redo stuff

which would be nice just in general a "deconstruct wires" button

and it would also then need a "re-connect to (color) wire"

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Rock5

The one thing I wonder about this method is what if you want to connect 2 or more of these separate circuits together? How would that work?
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Killaim

Quote from: Rock5 on May 03, 2016, 09:31:31 PM
The one thing I wonder about this method is what if you want to connect 2 or more of these separate circuits together? How would that work?

well it would just be 3 types of wires.  if they somehow share the same power source without a switch or anything to differentiate between them then yeah its not that much of a thing.

but with switchs (would also need a switch for each then i guess) or you would just need to route it through a switch on its own before going anywhere.

i would love this because then i could make a universal switch for Lights. and for machines

Toggle

Coloured wires, always think it would be a great idea. Also though, for switches, there might be an option in the gui where you can select 1-3 of them to be triggered by the switch, similar to redist heat pipes but multiple at once. And as for connecting them, maybe a "connector", small block where you can also select, similar to switch, what wires interact with it aka transfer power from eachother.

Rock5

This is sounding more and more complicated. I still think my original idea of  just 1 piece that crosses over the current is simpler if not as versatile. And lets face it, being too versatile probably makes the different color idea a bit OP.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

00petar00

I like the OP's idea more, but i don't mind the way it works right now, as long as you manage it nicely, it may take 10 minutes to set it up but it works fine.

I have four hydrophonics right next to eachother and i wanted to be able to turn each one on and off at any given moment, just a bit of figuring the ways to go and its not that hard, but being able to pass over circuit/make it cross over other without connecting both would make it much easier.

Killaim

well basically in the end all it would be with my idea would be cables able to stack ontop of each other.

the colors would just  be so you could tell them apart easy

Toggle

Quote from: Rock5 on May 04, 2016, 12:32:45 PM
This is sounding more and more complicated. I still think my original idea of  just 1 piece that crosses over the current is simpler if not as versatile. And lets face it, being too versatile probably makes the different color idea a bit OP.

I don't know how having good power management is OP.

And the other stuff is just for greater utility, in the end it can just be an extra coloured cable or 2 or even 3 that you would use whenever you wanted a specific power source or machine hooked up to eachother without conneciting to others.