How does combat work?

Started by mbond, April 23, 2016, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbond

I'm getting my butt kicked during raids.

When I get attacked I click the "Draft" button on my people. Then they just stand there. I can click on the weapon they have armed, and click on a raider, but then they end up getting dead. Is there way to move them behind sandbags manually and shoot from there?

skullywag

when you have a pawn drafter you can right click them to move them, they should auto attack any enemies, if this isnt happening you have issues with your game.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

makapse

moving to a cover(a wall for low and high cover) or sandbags(for low cover) reduces the chance of ranged attacks hitting by a big margin, like 60% less likely.

mumblemumble

Use cover,  give people the right weapons,  and play it safe. Also use numbers,  form a militia,  don't rely on 2 guys.

Also rocks,  trees and other objects provide cover ,  keep that in mind
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Mathenaut

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 23, 2016, 01:02:32 PM
Use cover,  give people the right weapons,  and play it safe. Also use numbers,  form a militia,  don't rely on 2 guys.

Also rocks,  trees and other objects provide cover ,  keep that in mind

There is some nuance to this. In principle, two skilled shooters with solid rifles and good cover can hold off a raid. RNG shenanigans makes this a little save-scummy to pull off, though.

Essentially, because of the heavy rng involved in combat, you essentially have to meta the system and orchestrate scenarios that are either no-risk (killboxes) or minimal-risk (defensive positions flanking turrets, under a roof, behind a pillar surrounded by sandbags).

mumblemumble

They "can"  yea, but getting other people out to fight is a big help. You train them in shooting,  and you have more guns to kill enemies faster.  Don't use less than you need to,  unless people are already injured
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Grimandevil

Quote from: mbond on April 23, 2016, 11:40:30 AM
When I get attacked I click the "Draft" button on my people. Then they just stand there. I can click on the weapon they have armed, and click on a raider, but then they end up getting dead. Is there way to move them behind sandbags manually and shoot from there?
basically, under normal conditions, u dont have control over your colonists, but when u 'draft' them, u gain almost total control (meaning u have to think for them as well). manipulate them as in normal RTS, and dont forget to undraft them after (they will neglect any needs untill extreme cases).
if u really struggle combat, see some LP videos, u'll get the basics.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

mbond

Just for the sake of completeness, incase some other poor newb stumbles across this thread.

To move a drafted colonist, right click.

that one took me far too long to figure out :-P

Shurp

Yeah mbond, that seems to be what the OP was missing.  Drafting them will just leave them standing there.  Right click gets them moving.

Minor annoyance: on a snow covered map it's hard to see the lines showing their movement path and destination circle.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

cultist

For the sake of completion, I think it's worth noting that most of the time it's not beneficial to control attacks directly. The flow of combat is mostly about positioning. Success also depends heavily on you choosing where to fight and under the best circumstances. Rushing or impromptu defense eventually leads to colony death. You need a game plan more than anything else.