Indoor tundra farm

Started by ChillinVillian13, April 23, 2016, 09:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChillinVillian13

Whenever I play on a tundra biome, there is no way I can indoor farm without hydroponics, I have enough light at 60% brightness and the room is at perfect temperature, is this a bug or am I doing something wrong

Mkok

Yep, you doing it wrong. You need to build sunlamp for 100% brightness, and you can plant only in dirt or hydroponics. Crops cant grow on rock or ice.

b0rsuk

I think 60% growth rate is with an ordinary lamp. Use a sunlamp (Architect -> Misc) for proper light. Uses 600W.

ReZpawner

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 23, 2016, 09:37:19 AM
I think 60% growth rate is with an ordinary lamp. Use a sunlamp (Architect -> Misc) for proper light. Uses 600W.
1600 W. And yeah, you can't grow plants with ordinary lamps.

Lys

Quote from: ReZpawner on April 23, 2016, 09:56:34 AM
Quote from: b0rsuk on April 23, 2016, 09:37:19 AM
1600 W. And yeah, you can't grow plants with ordinary lamps.
You can. However they die off before they will yield anything...

Mathenaut

Quote from: Mkok on April 23, 2016, 09:37:01 AM
Yep, you doing it wrong. You need to build sunlamp for 100% brightness, and you can plant only in dirt or hydroponics. Crops cant grow on rock or ice.

Tundra presents two risks to crop growth outside of spring/summer.

1.) Temperature
2.) Light

2 is a consequence of 1, as the only way to keep a stable temperature is to keep the farm indoors with a heater or two. Sunlamps are 1600W. This means you can run two of them PER geothermal generator, with a slight excess to manage other things. If you only have 1 geotherm, make sure you supplement with a good array of batteries (like 3 or 4 will do), and a few panels or windmills (I prefer panels).

ChillinVillian13

I usually don't like sunlamps because they consume so much energy. It  takes 10 or 11 standing lamps to consume that amount of power, this worked in alpha 12 but maybe they changed it in alpha 13

Chibiabos

Good to note Geothermal Vents provide heat even before you have the tech and resources to build a Geothermal Generator -- sometimes too much heat, but in a large enough enclosed space they're fine.  They can do a good job at keeping a large area heated for crops (and/or the rest of your base), don't consume power and always work (providing heat), even during a solar flare.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!